Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Interview With Karen Garrett- Continued

It’s been a whirlwind of activity since I got back from NYC! First, I rushed back to meet with some potential buyers at the March Market in Dallas. Next, Karl Lagerfeld brought his Chanel Amore collection to Heidi Dillon’s house here in Dallas for a private runway show benefiting The Fashionistas and their quest to build a museum to showcase the priceless Neiman Marcus Collection. Elle was covering the event and I met both Lilah Schechner and Wendi Berger. They were so sweet and encouraging about PR3. They loved my Toreador pants! (Always nice to have Elle on your side!)

Finally, I presented my Spring 2006 collection in Houston at The Women Who Wine of Texas’ Spring Fashion Event. I was flattered to be the featured designer. It was a full blown runway show in the ballroom at Lakewood Yacht Club complete with 24 models (Mrs. Texas, Miss Bay Area), make-up artists, hair stylists, accessories…the works. They sold out every table with over three hundred people through the door! Thank goodness my collection was met with very positive reviews. Even some standing ovations! Afterward, more than one person tried to buy my clothes right off the backs of the models. Praise is always good to hear, but real people who are willing to buy your designs lets you know you're on the right track.

I work on my designs and my line every day. I am competing to show with Gen Arts' LA Fresh Faces at Fashion Week in LA. I have been selected as one of two new Fashion Incubator designers who will first go through their “boot camp” on our way to be featured designers. The Art Institute of Dallas has asked me to become an instructor in their Fashion Design program and the University of North Texas has invited me to guest lecture at their graduate school of Fashion Design. Meanwhile, a 90-outlet very hip retailer contacted me about licensing my designs to them for both their retail stores and their wholesale and catalogue business. (My look book hit their desk this morning as a matter of fact.)

Listen, you know, the whole PR audition thing is trying in many ways but also fulfilling. Of course, the uncertainty is very unsettling, even for the most hardened professional. Particularly when you factor in the huge effort you expend just to get to the audition with something worth showing, the all-day wait, and then rush home to make a video. I don’t regret it at all, though. If Tim and company (Daniel V, Tali Sedgewick) validate your designs and construction talent by “moving you forward,” it’s a great feeling regardless. For me, I will always feel like a part of the PR family. The Project Outcast thing did vault me to the forefront here and I did get acquainted with BPR because of it! Remember, I was BPR’s first interview back in December ’05. Laura, you’ve got the best site on the web by far! I’ll will definitely see you at Fashion Week, I just don’t know which tent yet!