Not clingy and sexy but in a comfortable way. Kara had one on herself and she looked breezy as can be. As I was looking at the outfits, I continued to ask her some questions. For instance, I learned that she has been working on a fall line, consisting of about 15 pieces, which will be debuting soon, and she’s already thinking about her summer line for next year. Also, the inspiration for her kimono dress came organically and was already the signature piece in her collection before PR and then really took off after the show aired. I told her that I have heard from at least 2 different sources how the kimono dress is very flattering on curvy women which we are just so thankful for. We also talked about how great it was for her that Gina Tognoni had worn one of her dresses and won an Emmy. Kara had predicted (and hoped) Gina would win and also talked about how nice Gina was as a person and client.I should probably mention at this point that Sharone, Kara’s handsome fiancée, was there with her, manning the station. I got a chance to see her wedding ring, and commended him on his choice. I also chatted with him a little about their post event plans (dinner at Gibson’s).
Perhaps because it still felt like winter outside or because I had hankered after the kimono dress ever since I saw it on her on the show, I decided to get a kimono dress and asked Kara to pick out the size and color for me. Now we’re coming to the part that was a big perk for me, as here is when I got the “Kara Janx Special Attention”. She picked out the turquoise/gray version for me as she thought it would be good with my coloring.
Then after I put it on over the clothes I had on, she showed me 3 ways to wear it, all of which are shown on her web site (of course after I got home, I only remembered the super casual and most easy version, which is really just wearing it with jeans with the ties on the back, then spent another 15 minutes in the mirror trying to duplicate the regular version, literally only remembering 2 tips she told me). I’m not good with outfits that require something to be tied (see foregoing sentence), so this was invaluable to me and Kara really took her time with me which I really appreciated. I also asked her what shoes I should wear with the dress (brown strappy sandals or even black stilettos would work) and whether I should wear an underpinning underneath it (she definitely does), especially if I wear it to the office. I love the dress (as does my husband), although when I tried it on at home, I noted that I’m going to have to wear “sausage casing” to keep my J Lo-esque butt in check.After I purchased my dress, I walked around to check out the other designers. There was one that definitely caught my eye, Vika Brown. Had I not just come back broke from vacation, I would have picked up one of their pieces. Although the temptation was there, I did not try Botox nor Restylane despite both being 1/3 off at the event! All in all, it was fantastic to meet Ms. Kara in person. She was very warm and energetic, just as she appeared on the show. Thanks BPR, for sending me on this fun and delightful assignment! And also, thanks to Second City Style for bringing Kara here. Hmm…how about featuring Houston designers next time, like, oh you know, Chloe Dao?
pc
Thanks pc - if Chloe ever comes to Chicago, I'll be right there with you!
|