BPR: Your work has taken you to many different parts of the world. As a self-described “modern day gypsy”, where is the favorite place you have lived so far and where is the one place you would like to go that you haven’t been to yet?Bonnie: I know one day, when I grow up, I will settle down in NYC. It is my favorite city in the world. I want to move back to Europe at some point also… I love the lifestyle over there. Other places I would like to check out: my husband lived in Dubai for a year and loved it, there is so much happening there now so maybe we will head there at some point as well… the globe is the limit.
BPR: Where did you meet your husband Alex? Did you make your own wedding dress?
Bonnie: I met Alex while we were both working at Puma in Germany. We sat across from me in the design studio; and fell madly in love with me!(haha) We had a small wedding just over a year ago with our families only. I did not make my dress because as of two weeks before PR auditions I had not sewn for 10 years! BUT we are going to have a big party/ vows thing somewhere fabulous for all of our friends and bigger family in the next two years… and I am going to make my dress for that!
BPR: Much has been made of your work with Serena Williams. What was she like to work with? Was that “black cat suit” mostly your design?
Bonnie: Serena was cool, She is a diva for sure. When I worked with her she was pretty young and was on top of the world. So we would have great meetings and then we would have, I want to pull my hair out’, meetings. As for the black cat suit… puma wanted to do something for Serena that spoke her attitude. Around the time ‘cat women’ was coming out and I found this performance lycra that looked like leather… the catsuit was born. Serena loved the idea..In the public it was liked and disliked BUT that outfit was on the front pages of every newspaper around the world!
BPR: Did you watch Seasons 1 and 2? Who were your favorite designers?
Bonnie: Yes I loved JAY from Season 1. And I actually really liked all 3 of the finalists Chloe, Santino and Daniel from season 2.
BPR: What was your reaction to getting the casting call?
Bonnie: I was so excited. I honestly sewed everything as well as put together my fashion portfolio in one week after not exploring that part of design in 10 years!
BPR: Which challenge was your favorite?
Bonnie: The dog challenge.. but no one could even see my awesome design! Hahaha.
BPR: When did you find out about Keith having a pattern book in his possession? What was your reaction when you learned he was kicked out?
Bonnie: I think Keith is really talented and I was bummed he got booted. I did not think he was using the books.
BPR: Tim has stated that originally, no one was going to be eliminated from the INC team challenge after Keith’s dismissal. Did you have any inkling about that?
Bonnie: I thought they would eliminate someone.
BPR: Choosing Uli on your team seemed like a natural given the great work you did together on the Miss USA gown. If you had the choice of any other designer to pick for your team, who would it be?
Bonnie: I really like Michael and Laura, they are both strong at sewing and finishing…as well as talented! But I really like Bradley as a person so I was fine with having him on my team. He is too funny… I LOVED his beard comment!!!
On one hand it was an honor to have Mehmet Tangoren choose your design. On the other, it put a big target on your back as one of only 4 team leaders.
BPR: Do you think the team challenges are fair?
Bonnie: I hate the team challenges! It is hard for everyone… all the designers want to show their point of view, and all the leaders are targets. I understand that the point is to work together BUT the working terms are not realistic… I have always worked in a team over the past 10 years, both as a lead and as part of a team.
BPR: What look were you shooting for in your pitch to Macy’s? Do you feel it was executed as you envisioned it?
Bonnie: I really thought that from Mehmet’s brief of INC that the women’s was a bit on the conservative side. Simple with a interesting twist. I was pitching easy to wear pieces that can be mixed with other pieces in the INC line. The jacket had a crop sleeve; the pant was supposed to be a Lauren Bacall/ Katharine Hepburn classic high waist little bit wide pant. The top was reversible… it was supposed to be tighter… with a long sleeve that belled at the cuff. That was a tunic length that one could wear as a dress or a shirt. I totally agreed with the judges that the pant was ‘auf?’ BUT I actually would wear the jacket… and the top.
BPR: It seems as if you and Uli grew close during this experience. Do you still stay in touch with her and the other designers from the show?
Bonnie: I got to see everyone at the Premiere parties… and I plan to keep in touch with quite a few of the designers. I was really impressed with most the designers. Everyone has such a different point of view and style.
BPR: Lately we see you focusing on your artwork. Is this a planned shift for you away from the world of fashion?
Bonnie: Actually I have been doing my artwork for the past 10 years. I have been neglecting my work since the show! All of the pieces I showed at the show in July have been sitting in my art studio while I was occupied with PR. I paint in oil so it takes forever to dry! But my art is a part of who I am so it will always be a focus for me.
BPR: What can we expect next from Bonnie Dominguez?
Bonnie: Well since the show I have been so inspired… I have been sewing a ton. I actually just started a MySpace page that shows some things I have been working on. I also have been formulating ideas of what I am going to do with ‘fashion’. I am also working on the reef sp08 sandal and bag line).I was one of the few designers that did not already have a line going into the show. I did project runway to inspire me to get back into fashion. Now I am inspired. I just have to figure out my attack plan…. You have not heard the last of me (even if you did not see a lot of me on the show!!!!)
Click here to comment.