Guy Macy picks Robert (because he could sketch) Bonnie, (because she understands the customer), Keith, (because he traced a nice presentation and didn't touch him in a bad way), and, in a surprise move, Angela (because he appreciated her not referencing Jubilee Jumbles). Everyone expresses their shock about Angela and they get a panicked look while they consider that two of them will need to be on her team. Even Jeffrey is afraid and I worry for his future.They pick teams and Angela selects Michael and Laura, Robert gets Kayne and Vincent, Keith takes Alison and Jeffrey and Bonnie chooses Uli and Bradley. Bradley sadly references being picked last at kickball and for a moment I thought they were actually going to play kickball, maybe with the models, Tim and Guy Macy. Then Tim tells them that the outfit they make will be sold at Macy's. Robert says that it is kind of great which I think translates into, 'I'm okay with this as long as I don't have to actually set foot in Macy's' They have two days and only $100. They have time to talk and Robert mentions a fake dickey as opposed to a real dickey. Vincent is hating on the dickey, fake or real but he is along for the ride. Angela wants to get past left field and I think, honey, you are way past left field. Keith assigns the hard stuff to Jeffrey and Alison then resumes doodling, killing time until he can get back to the Atlas to 'shower' (with his messenger bag filled with books that he allegedly never used).
They go to Mood and the fabric that Bonnie wants is crazy expensive. Michael finds this pink, zig-zag print and Angela does a brief, happy dance before hugging him. Then Laura mentions containing Angela's "full-tilt, boogie-quilted extravaganza of puff" and I realize that I couldn't have said it any better.
Then Keith, with some serious music foreshadowing future calamity, negotiates cheaper fabric and I wonder why Bonnie didn't do the same. Then Keith tells us he always breaks the rules a tiny bit because he thinks that he is right.Back at Parsons there is frenzy with the fabric while Bonnie worries that Bradley might not finish the pants. Bradley thinks the Bonnie feels this way because of his beard and I'm worried that his time management issues are tied to facial hair grooming issues ... or maybe to daydreaming about kickball.
Keith needs Alison's help. She corrects his work and he's glad he doesn't have to do 3 pieces himself. Kayne says that Jeffrey and Alison are doing all of Keith's work and we see Keith relaxing on the table until he finds an opportunity to 'shower.' Kayne tells us that Keith is ruthless and will do anything to win so I start to worry about Jeffey and Alison's futures.
Back at the Atlas, Kayne talks to Vincent about Keith's pattern-making books and I black out for a moment while he says something about collars. I got lost for a while because I thought he was talking about the bracelet Keith had put on the dog last week. We see some books under Keith's bed but none of them are about dog collars. Then Kayne and Robert talk about the rules and I think that Keith is finally going to get busted for that naked dog in the previous challenge. Then they talk about their contracts and the rules when I realize that Michael is actually on the show this week.
We see Tim knocking on a door with books under his arms. Wait, they were under the bed and now Tim has them? So I understand that these are magical books and all of a sudden it all makes sense. KEITH HAS BEEN USING MAGIC along with the hypnosis from Episode 1. I am gripped by anger that I don't have those books. Tim looks at the camera and tells us about the rules. Then, in an awkward voice-over, we hear how Tim got the magical books and how Keith left and used the internet; I'm thinking sure, he lost his magic books so he needed to go to Amazon to buy more WHICH MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME. Tim, now sitting on the floor, tells ruthless, rule-bending, hypnotic and magical Keith that he has to go.Keith talks to the other guys about his tarnished image and how he will be a laughing stock and I'm thinking it's a good thing he knows magic and hypnosis. Then, as he packs, Keith says that he never used those magic books to give himself an advantage and that he still had some tricks up his sleeves. I make a note to wear sleeves when I finally learn magic. Keith leaves the show to a future of denial and tending bar.
It's a new Keithless day at Parsons when Tim tells them to gather 'round. As he tells them that Keith has disappeared the other designers look shocked since they don't know about the magic. Then Tim uses 'carry on' and 'make it work' in the same sentence. Jeffrey says it is a tougher challenge while our sunny girl Alison sadly weeps. Suddenly I am gripped by anger that anyone would dare make Alison cry!Bradley makes pants while Bonnie threatens to bring him down as he talks metaphors about fish, squid and eagles. Kayne says the fake dickey looks flight attendenty. Vincent disagrees with Robert who tells us that Vincent is entitled to his wrong opinion and that "Kayne has the taste of a love-starved hyenna."
Angela is bent upon making whickety-whack rosettes while we now hear HER theme music. Suddenly I'm panicked because I don't know what my next mission should be - theme music or magic. Laura says something about not being able to stop Angela from hanging herself with her "wacky design aesthetic." We then see flashbacks of Angela's critiques on the runway just before Angela tells Michael that she wants to put rosettes everywhere. So maybe her version of the Umpire State Building would be covered in rosettes and I'm not sure that Guy Macy would like that. Then Laura suggests just using them for buttons and Angela is thrilled that she's involved with a real collaboration. So then I think that Laura learned about hypnosis from no-longer-in-the-show Keith because it was really easy to deter Angela from the fashion fatal rosette-hanging.Tim comes in and is concerned with Robert's design looking matronly while Vincent calls it plain; I'm thinking that Vincent is planning that some sort of kooky hat quickly fashioned from raffia would be a remedy. Tim says Angela's buttons really work for him but he finds the slacks that Bonnie's team created to look 'diapery.' Uli is glad she has immunity because she won't go home because of the Pampers/Depends pants. Tim is happy with the progress of the Jeffrey/Alison team which shows how little they needed Keith. There is a brief scene of chaos before they return to the Atlas where talking about Keith still occupies the designers. Jeffrey wants to win and for the first time I notice that he has a really nice cleft chin which his distracting neck ink has obscured.
The next morning at Parsons Tim urges the designers to use the Macy's accessory wall and for a moment I feel really sorry for Tim having to say such a thing. After the models come in Kayne notices that the slit on their dress is skanky while Alison and Jeffrey are pleased with their work. Laura generously says that Angela was a good team leader but I am mostly grateful for the amount of Michael in this episode.
At the runway, Heidi is wearing a particularly hideous romper outfit that I blame immediately on Guy Macy. Judging are Vera Wang, NINAGARCIA and Guy Macy who strangely has another name so I think he is incognito due to Heidi's bad shorts.Angela's outfit comes first and it looks nothing like the Umpire State Building. It has no readily visible Jubilee Jumble influences and I can imagine it maybe selling in a Macy's. Angela says it was a dream working with Laura and Michael so I know she's still in a dream state from the hypnosis. Robert's ensemble has this weird combination of pieces that Robert thinks looks chic. I'm alarmed by the ill-considered slit that has the potential to show entirely too much tootie.
While we are fortunately tootie-free, I realize the outfit is vulgar and dowdy and for a frightening second I think about Anne Slowey. Darn you Robert Best for making me think of her! Bonnie's outfit made her hot model look matronly but she was happy since the Huggies pants didn't show. Jeffrey and Alison's pieces looks really good but I'm not sure about the top's stirrup pant effect. They were happy to have finished it and I think the pants are great.
The judges tally the scores and the Keithless team and Angela's team step forward with the highest scores. The teams of Robert and Bonnie have to leave so that the judges can decide the winners. Guy Macy wants to know about the rosettes in the back and I hold my breath for the potential Jubilee Jumble explanation. Angela tastefully calls them her signature and talks about sunrise over the Umpire State Building. Michael then shows the zig-zag lining; everyone is delighted and Heidi says it looks expensive. With the Keithless team, Guy Macy finds the pants groovy while Vera Wang says they look sexy. Before they leave we hear that the winning garment will be in the window display in Macy's the next morning which seems cruel and cool at the time time to make them wait. Darn you Guy Macy!
The judges want to look at Bonnie's outfit without the jacket and immediately I find the oddly belted long top bad beyond words. NINAGARCIA hates the cowl, hates the pants and hates everything about the outfit. Uli tries to explain it is for an older customer before NINAGARCIA sternly reminds us that that even an old person doesn't want to look old. Bradley admits to making the diaper pants that Bonnie sketched and Guy Macy likes. I think that Bradley is really smart to blame the evil Guy Macy. Heidi wants to know if Robert was designing for someone old and he says it was for someone sophisticated. NINAGARCIA wants to know if none of them noticed the tootie slit. NINAGARCIA wanted to be wowed but not by old looking diaper pants and tootie slits. They leave the runway for the judges to discuss.They liked Angela's vibe calling it expensive-looking and they found Jeffrey and Alison had synergy without Keith. With Bonnie's outfit NINAGARCIA was disgusted by the brown pants and cowl neck and found Robert's outfit boring and discombobulated which I just learned how to spell. I want to remind them that these two teams lacked theme music or magic so they really couldn't win.
Uli had immunity, Kayne is in because he likes color, Vincent is in because he avoided hats and Bradley is in because he was smart with saying that Guy Macy liked the diaper pants. Heidi painfully tells Robert that his outfit was a bore while she tells a nearly tearful Bonnie that hers was stale. Then Heidi gets sneaky and says Bonnie's name before saying she's out. Robert goes and Heidi kisses Bonnie so that she leave to paint colorful art and maybe create her own line of sporty shoes.
The next day the Keithless team and Angela's team go to Macy's and I'm hopeful that they won't run into the wicked Guy Macy. They see Angela's outfit in the window because she's won the challenge with the great team she selected. She's really happy and shows us a Jubilee Jump and I have to say I'm right there with her happiness. While Angela says this validates her talent, Jeffrey gets a little bitter and so I think he needs a spa day or to hear his jealousy-inducing theme music.Then we see a preview that shows MK returning with Diane Von F and for a moment I forget things like magic, hypnosis and Keith drama but I STILL WANT THEME MUSIC.
Click here to comment.