While preparing for PR3, I worked with the Art Institute of Dallas’ Fashion Design School to learn how to operate (and thread and adjust) most types of commercial sewing machines. Their director is a huge PR fan, so the school was more than willing to help in sending me off to PR with Andrae-like serger prowess. Sometime after I had completed my “training,” I was asked if I would be interested in becoming an instructor at the Art Institute. I jumped at the chance, since I have always found the time to teach. For me, I find teaching to be a much needed source of stimuli and positive energy. Just look at Nick! Creating is inherently lonely. Ask any designer. My students are invigorating and the environment as a whole is brimming with a creative buzz. By the way, I teach Fundamentals of Fashion Drawing and I have 50 students, all rabid PR fans. [They're all waving on my web site under School /studio.]
As you would expect, I am advancing my career as quickly as possible. I continue to present my line to potential licensing sources, with limited success thus far. My Spring 2006 collection was well received at the Women Who Wine of Texas Spring Fashion Event and produced a great deal of positive interest in my designs. I continue to be grateful for the Fashion Incubator as a super support group, and my association with The Fashionistas Organization has been fruitful, as well. Many people in the industry have encouraged me to “carry on” and carry on I will! My voice gets stronger and more confident as I design each new collection as it should.
Watch out for my Spring 2007 collection. I write that because recently I sculpted figurative racks in fiberglass and steel to display my designs. At first I thought it was a real hassle, you know - Why not just buy some racks, right? Oddly, they inspired me beyond belief. Working on those racks made me realize who I am as a designer. It strenghened my real voice and reminded me of where I come from in a design sense. What I mean to say is, the racks bridged my sculpture background with my fashion designs. I think you will see what I mean once you see my new collection. It's going to be a new Karen Garrett!
I'm filled with joy following my "fashion passion." Laura, thanks for your note, and please…don’t ever stop what you are doing.
Karen Garrett
Click here to comment.