Thursday, August 31, 2006

Transcript of Angela's Exit Interview - Continued

I’ve accepted that I’m leaving Paris. That’s ok. I accepted that I was leaving Paris the day I got here, when we left New York. So I’m ok with it.

Well the criticisms on my garment were, the first one I remember is Heidi saying that the rosettes – she’s like they’re everywhere, it’s like an explosion of rosettes. And Michael Kors said that the fabric that I chose for the pants was all wrong. Which, I really hate to admit this but I agree with him. On the runway they didn’t look that great. And I like them in real life but I understand what he was saying. It was a very unfabulous fabric.

Michael said that the garment was something you could find at H&M. And Nina looked at it and said, well I disagree because she said I go to H&M and you can find chic things at H&M and this is not chic.

I think it was a total toss up between me and Kayne. Because we’re both pretty out there and we’re both pretty much in our own little dream world. So I don’t think Kayne should have gone before me.

I think Jeffrey probably really wanted to win because, my guess is that the first challenge we had, he got lambasted by the judges and Heidi didn’t like his outfit at all, she thought it was garbage – according to him, I didn’t hear that assessment. But, I just think he’s had this chip on his shoulder. I think Jeffrey has gotten dogged a few times by the judges on the runway and so he just really wanted to be validated through winning a challenge.

I’m glad that Jeffery won because he’s been saying all along that he really just wants to win one challenge, and Michael has won two. So, it’s just, you know, Jeffery did a bang up outfit and I think that he deserved to win.

Angela’s Exit Interview, Part II

I really became close with Michael and Laura and Kayne and -- I wasn’t that close with Robert but I really liked Robert. I was starting to get to know Uli a little bit better. Who did ... I did not really successfully bond with Jeffrey. I still like his whole aesthetic, though. Keith definitely never -- that was total oil and water. And Alison, I really miss Alison. I think that she belongs in Paris. And I wish her all the best because she’s a great person and a great designer. We just sort of started getting to know each other a little better after Keith left.

I have this special thing for Kayne. I feel like he’s almost like my younger brother to me and honestly, if we had made it to the final three I would have wanted him to win because of this sort of connection that I felt with him.

I just really love Kayne so I’m happy that he’s still in the game and I would love to see him win this, win the competition. So it’s totally fine with me that I went before him.

I think for the second challenge that Jeffrey, Keith and Vincent – and probably a lot of other people thought that I was just a contentious little troublemaker that was just going only to be able to have it her way and that’s not true. It was a misperception that they held onto and judged me through. And I really felt so badly about that and I realized what I needed to change if it ever happens again. But I also knew that that wasn’t me and that I could change, I would be able to change my behaviors next time. So just learning that you really have to listen to that voice inside of you that’s confidant and that knows who you are and you can not let other people’s opinion of you affect who you are or who you know yourself to be.

Uh, I don’t really know what Jeffrey’s deal is but he definitely has something to prove. He’s very ... he can be very abrasive and egotistical and all of this stuff. I think that that comes from insecurity, not having the big ego ... well maybe having the big ego is being insecure. I think if somebody’s secure they don’t treat people the way he treats other people. So I think it’s, he’s emulating from insecurity.

I feel pretty much the same way toward Jeffrey now, now that it’s all over, I mean I feel about him the same way. I mean I just knew that there was not going to be any sort of mutual clicking of the two minds. And you know it’s ok. I mean we’ve got differences and we don’t need to be buddy-buddy. So I don’t really feel any differently toward him now than I did in the workroom.

Angela’s Exit Interview, Part III

Oh Project Runway is definitely a life-changing experience. Absolutely. It’s going to turn you inside-out and tumble dry you and fluff you out and you will come out cleaner than when you entered. It’s just, it’s such an intense experience and the intensity can be good and bad but in the end it is all good and it’s very fulfilling and it’s just ... it’s just so much fun, you know, it’s just so much fun having a creative process being taped and just getting to show America what you have to say as a designer is really really incredible.

I learned that you have to really know who you are and not let other people’s opinion of you rattle you if it’s not true. If they make a negative judgment of you and hold it against you just really have to be strong and know who you are. But if the negative judgment happens to apply to something you need to change about yourself then you have to keep your eyes and your ears open, and your heart, and be willing to change.

Right now I feel amazing and good and it’s really a surprise to me because I was concerned about getting -- first of all getting criticism on Project Runway, and getting eliminated, and just wondering how I would react to that. And I just have this overwhelming positive feeling that whatever is meant to be will be and the feeling, my mood right now is just one of acceptance, joy and gratitude because this experience has been unlike any other and I am just so happy that I had a chance to have this experience.

Part of me is bummed that I’m not going to get to spend the time with the designers in Paris to do another challenge but a bigger part of me is just really ready to move on and get going with life and everything that’s going to be coming flying at me.

It’s such a complicated response. I mean I’m not going to be brooding because I was eliminated but I’m going to treasure this experience so part of me will be you know sad that that ... you know that I’m not going to get a chance to show during Fashion Week. But there’s way more happiness going on and excitement about what’s to come rather than being sad about what didn’t happen.

I’m just going to take it as it comes. I think that this is a huge ball of possibilities that Project Runway throws in the designers’ direction and it’s up to you whether or not you run with it.

I don’t know what’s ahead right now, I’m just going to let it happen.

I think I had, definitely had the opportunity to show America what I can do. It was more bits and pieces, it wasn’t a fluent, consistent whole. I mean all of the pieces I sent out, with the exception of the last outfit, I really felt confident in. So, it showed a range. Because my Audrey Hepburn dress was fantastically fitted and really clean and modern and sleek. Then you have the dog challenge outfit which was completely in another different stratosphere and fabulous and wonderful. So American definitely got to see a range of Angela. Plus I wore a lot of my own clothes on the show so they got to see my points of view pretty clearly.

Being eliminated from Project Runway is only going to make me get out there even more. I mean this has totally lit a fire under my butt and I have learned so much as to what I need to fine tune and what I need to do to change to make my line better. So I plan on leaving Project Runway like running out of the gate, like you know the bells ringing. Boom. So I’m definitely going to run with it.
Click here to comment.