BPR: At BPR, we have an irrational love for Daniel Franco. We understand you have something of an irrational love for Tom Jones. How did that come about?AK: AAAHHH! How can anyone NOT have an irrational love for Sir Tom? When I first saw tom on mtv doing prince's "kiss", I thought "Mother of God! Who is this man who can do 'kiss' better than prince himself?" tom jones shoots from the source, that's all I'm gonna say.
BPR: When did you first start to incorporate fleurchons into your designs?
AK: 2 years ago. And I came up with a definition: "a proper flourish for the modern gentlewoman to dress up or play down, as her fancy sees fit."
BPR: Everyone knows about your farm. Can you explain what being "off the grid" is and where you get your power supply?
AK: Most people use a power company to supply all their power, and that power originates in nuclear reactors. We are two miles from grid electricity, thus: off-the-grid. My husband and I have an incredible array of solar panels that collect energy from the sun, batteries that store this power, and an inverter that allows us to use conventional AC power. If you don't have an inverter, you can only use DC power, the kind that Edison championed.
BPR: What do you grow on your farm? Do you ever sell your organic produce?
AK: Oh my- we grow a little bit of everything! Our gardens look like a snapshot of the 1950's when people grew all the food they ate. It is generally all heirloom varieties- varieties that have been saved and passed down through the generations and are not available for commercial sale. We never sell our food- only barter. We trade with the neighbors all the time.
BPR: Your way of sustainable living doesn't exactly mesh well with the culture of the fashion world. Is there a place for your design philosophy in high fashion?AK: Absolutely. My spirit comes from the old world, and so does the industry of high fashion. I intend to blend my love of the old world and the modern and create streetwear with couture detailing. couture is work done by hand- the fleurchon and the rosette embody that principle perfectly!!!!!
BPR: We hear you used a vintage tablecloth to fashion your wedding dress. What was your inspiration for creating such a special dress?
AK: I just started to fall in love with lace at that time. And my friend had given me a cutwork tablecloth, which is similar to lace but less tedious. I draped it on the bias, handstitched it, and lined it with silk chiffon. I never had to cut it or use a sewing machine! It was very gratifying.
BPR: We also hear that you had homemade honey as wedding favors. What made you decide to keep bees?
AK: My husband is the beekeeper- he is a modern day Dr. Doolittle. Also, he is interested in activities that liberate the individual from the consumer economy. If he ever has the choice to be a producer, he always chooses to be a producer. It's funny to say "producer" b/c our television culture will identify it as tv producer. I'm referring to a producer of goods. Being a producer of anything fundamentally shifts an individual's relationship to life and what it means to be truly alive.
BPR: Did you watch Seasons 1 and 2? Who were your favorite designers?
AK: My outlook on all the designers has changed: they are all my favorites. After going through project runway, I have enormous respect for the dreams and desires and personalities of every single one of them.
BPR: What was your reaction to getting the casting call?
AK: I screamed.
BPR: Which challenge was your favorite?
AK: I liked them all except for the recycling challenge.
BPR: The Macy's outfit was such a departure from your earlier work on the show. Did you feel vindicated as designer when you were first chosen as a team leader and then won?
AK: The macy's outfit was not a departure, nor was the Audrey dress or any of the other designs I executed: they all bear witness to my range as a designer. I was surprised when laura said I was inconsistent as a designer; I just have the gift of range.
BPR: You were so excited when you learned you were traveling to Paris. But this wasn't your first trip to France, was it?
AK: No- I've been there many times. I love it.
BPR: <How long did you stay in Paris? Did you fly home first class?
AK: No! they flew me home regular coach, which I expected. But they did put me up in an incredible hotel, caleed the kube. It was beyond fantastic.
BPR: Of the 6 remaining designers, who do you think has what it takes to win it all?
AK: MICHAEL!
BPR: What's next for Angela Keslar?
AK: Working for Catherine Malandrino on her fashion show for ny fashion week. There are so many possibilities to sift through- I'll let you know when I decide!

Thank you Angela, we hope to see you again soon!
Click here to comment.