Friday, September 29, 2006

Interview With Alison Kelly

I was recently able to interview the lovely and talented Alison Kelly from Bravo TV’s “Project Runway” on her experience. As one of the most favored designers on the show, her “auf’ing” was a shock and upset to many fans of the show. But all is well for Ms. Kelly. Here’s what she had to say.


Q. After all the places you've lived, what made you move to Brooklyn?

A. I have lived in many places; San Miguel de Allende, Mexico, Florence, Italy, Los Angeles, I guess I felt it was time to try out NYC as the resources for fashion designers are the best in the states and there is a constant flow of inspiration and intrigue.

Q. Congratulations on not being swallowed whole by fleurshons and ruffles while rooming with Angela. How was that experience?

A. We were so tired by the time we got home that as soon as my head hit the pillow i was out like a light...and a few hours later they'd be waking us up...

Q. I think you were the first designer whose auf'ing was met with such absolute shock and anger. Not even Nick got that kind of attention when he lost to Santino's outfit that fell apart. Was that surprising?

A. Yes. I was quite confident that I was going to make it much further in the competition...many people that day thought I'd be in the top, so I was quite shocked and appalled when it was me who was out.
Now I feel as if everything unravels the way nature wills it to and I've found the controversy quite flattering and I have even more conviction as a designer because of it.

Q. Do you listen to Tim Gunn's podcast at all? Or what he had to say concerning the “Waste Not, Want Not” challenge?

A. No, but my mother told me what he said. I don't indulge in blogs or the media unless it's an interview I've arranged or something of importance. He did tell me that day that he thought I would win and was shocked when I was auf’ed, he is such a gentle, caring and sweet man, too bad he is not one of the judges, I would could have won the competition! Hahaha

Q. How is it that Project Runway would make such a big deal about it's integrity and whatnot, but not keep the playing field level with same-size models?

A. They try to make it as difficult for us as possible to work under the pressure. They placed a few models in the competition who wouldn't regularly be on the catwalk. My problem is the industry standard that women must look thin, sometimes the message behind the clothing is more important than the outward aesthetic.

Q. Tim Gunn mentioned on his podcast that you guys had about two days break in the middle of the INC challenge. It was an obvious shock when Keith was eliminated. Did the fact that you guys had a few days break in the middle of the I.N.C. challenge make things even harder for you and Jeffrey?

A. Jeffrey and I work well under pressure and communicate in a way that comes naturally as we view fashion, the world, and creativity in a similar manner. We wanted to prove our integrity as designers and I believe we did. Catastrophic events are always present in the real world and we must march on.

Q. Do you still keep in contact with any of the designers?

A. Yes, Jeffery and I speak frequently, I've seen Keith, Malan, Katherine, Bonnie, Robert...there were some great personalities on the show and we'll keep in touch.

Q. Does Laura ever wear a bra?

A. Pasties. Ugh.

Q. Your site mentioned you teaming up with ShopBop.com for a fall collection. Do you know when that is going to be released?

A. The collection debuts in February (it is for Spring/Summer 2007)

Q. What types of music are you listening to these
days?

A. Blond Redhead, Crass, Antony, Bob Dylan, I'm in France right now where my boyfriend's band Salt & Samovar are touring.

Q. Have you offered any particularly interesting opportunities after the show?

A. Yes, not to be released publicly just yet.

Q. The pics of you modeling your own work were stunning. Any interest in pursuing modeling as a side-career?

A. I modeled for myself when I was broke and/or wanting to control the entire aesthetic of a series...as I am often my own muse, I pose for my line as I feel I understand he message in the medium better than anyone, from the power of the clothing to the subtle expressions and styling...however I prefer to use other girls and be behind the scenes.

For more info on what Alison is up to these days, check out her site dahlclothes.com. “Project Runway” airs Wednesdays at 10 pm on Bravo.