Sunday, November 12, 2006

Tim and Angela Take the Town - Deb's Report

A Macy's employee went down the line and handed out a "branded" index card and a sheet with the list of designs we'd see in the runway show. Another came by with a bowl of chocolate, prompting me to comment that she was going to become very popular. We were seated roughly 30 minutes or so before the scheduled start time of 2pm. At that point we were told to use the index card to write down any question that we had for Tim or Angela, and the cards were collected and taken backstage.

Tim and Angela walked out just before 2 o'clock, then suddenly did an about-face and went backstage. As soon as I spotted them, all my plans to stay "calm, cool and collected" went by the wayside. When the show officially started a few minutes later, I was already building up to full "Squee!" fan-girl levels. As a result, my brain went more or less blank. It was all I could do to try to take photos (most of which came out horribly blurry due to my shaking hands). My temporary mental incapacitation also resulted in a complete absence of note-taking on my part -- a fact I'm now ruing as I try to write this report.

The store manager (whose name I've completely forgotten) made the usual introductions, and we started off with Tim and Angela doing a brief Q&A from a few of the cards we'd submitted. I can't remember the exact wording of most of their answers ("Squee!" fan-girl levels -- remember?). If I'm off in any of the details here or have left anything out, hopefully there's another BPRer who can chime in with a correction.

Someone inquired as to how accurate everyone was portrayed due to the editing of the show. Tim stated the editing is actually kind to everyone -- including him. Angela didn't necessarily agree because she feels they chose to edit her to make her look worse and make it seem as if Jeffrey and Vincent really hated her. Tim elicited a laugh by joking that they hated everyone.

The oft-asked question about the producers' role in judging was raised. Tim said that the disclaimer about the producers having a say in the judging has been there all three seasons, but that people seem to have really jumped on it this year. He indicated that the producers only step in if the judges have reached a stalemate; at that point the producers will act almost like camp counselors, helping the judges to reach their own decision.

Regarding the "mom challenge," Tim mentioned that they originally thought using the moms/sisters as the models would actually make for a more enjoyable, relaxing [my wording -- as I can't recall precisely how he said it] time for the designers. Had the producers realized how stressful it would become, they'd never have even done the challenge. Angela said that her mom is a very sweet, wonderful person. Angela was so angered by what happened between Jeffrey and her mom that she wanted to "kill" Jeffrey. She had described to her mom in great detail what she wanted to do to him, but her mom told her to stay out of it, saying that it would only reflect poorly on Angela. She indicated that her mom gave Jeffrey a hug just prior to the runway showing and said that eventually maybe her mom being kind to him in that way would rub off on Jeffrey in a positive manner; if so, what happened was really a blessing.

Someone asked about the finale -- I can't remember the exact question, but I believe it was about the criteria used to pick the winner. Tim admitted being disappointed in Michael's collection. He said that Uli's and Laura's collections were beautiful and very well done, but that Jeffrey's was the only one that was truly surprising. Angela agreed and said she couldn't wait to see each of Jeffrey's pieces as they came out on the runway. She mentioned that people need to separate the personality from the designer because the creative design process comes from deep inside (I think she said from a "divine place") and should be respected. She felt Jeffrey had done an amazing job.

Angela fielded a question regarding talent versus motivation. She stated that she felt that motivation was ultimately more important because without it the person wouldn't make it. She also said that a less-talented, highly-motivated person can often succeed more than a highly-talented, unmotivated individual.

Discussion arose about the judging in the recycling challenge. Tim said that Vincent's "billboard" of an outfit didn't meet Tim's bromide that a garment is only a success if the model can get into a taxi while wearing it. He felt Vincent should have been the one to go in that challenge. He followed up with the next question, which was an inquiry as to whether he always agreed with the judges' decision. In short, he doesn't -- as the recycling challenge demonstrated!

Following the Q&A session, we saw a runway show of 40 or so new looks from Macy's INC line. The show lasted about 15-20 minutes. Since I'm not a true fashionista -- and not one of the items would ever fit me -- I didn't really get into this part of the festivities all that much. There were some outfits I thought were terrific looking (the two male models weren't too bad either!), but I was already thinking ahead to the meet and greet. I was desperately hoping to be able to take part and was wondering how the Macy's folks would decide who was "in" and who was "out."

After the runway show, the Macy's manager announced that everyone should check the sheets we'd been given earlier to see if theirs had been stamped with red stars. Everyone with the stars would get to meet Tim and Angela.

ACK! No stars. I was crushed. Just as I was thinking I'd have to try to sweet-talk my way in using the "I'm reporting for BPR" trick, the girl on my left saved me from my impending depression. As we stood up, she turned to me and said, "I can't stay. Do you want this?"

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!

Yep, she had a red-starred sheet. I calmly said, "Why yes, I would like that. Thank you." OK, I actually grabbed the poor woman in a bear hug and exclaimed that I loved her. Surprisingly, she refrained from calling Security. Life was good.

I raced over with the other "red stars" and got in line to meet Tim and Angela.

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!

Wait, I think I said that already. I digress....

The line moved more quickly than I expected. Before I knew it, I was "on deck." Once again, adrenaline flowed freely, and I was shaking like a leaf by the time I walked up to the table. I pulled out my "We Heart BPR" sign (thank you, Laura K.) and announced to Tim and Angela, "BPR is here!" Take it from me (and Tim!), if you want a great response, mention BPR. Both of them immediately exclaimed that they do in fact love BPR and check the site regularly. They were signing pre-printed pictures of Tim and Heidi. Each of them signed one for me with expressions of BPR love. Tim also signed my copy of the Entertainment Weekly with him and Heidi on the cover. He then graciously responded when I said I was sorry to bug him, and I asked if he would sign one more photo for my sister who is in Iraq. He said something like, "You're not bugging me!" and happily signed away. I mentioned to Angela that I loved the jacket she was wearing, and she said it was a vintage piece, and that she'd just bought it. I took a photo of Tim and Angela with the "We Heart BPR" sign, and my friend, Chris, took a shot of me with them. I shook their hands, and that was that. It was all over in a wonderful, albeit blurry, flash. I can't even remember all that was said. Ah, to have been witty and interesting!

After my spin through the meet and greet, I cruised around and took pictures of the PR designs, plus some more photos of Tim and Angela. All in all, the entire event lasted approximately two hours. It was a wonderful day, and I would like to thank Tim and Angela for taking the time out of their busy schedules to mingle with us "mere mortals" in the PR fandom. Tim, you DO rock, and so does Angela