
This was no traditional runway show. The dozen models (including Javi from Project Runway Season 3) strolled through the gallery, posed in the small gallery’s front window, draped themselves on chairs and stairs, and mingled with the guests. Though no Runway alums were in attendance, hundreds of friends and admirers -- including Alison’s old boss -- packed into the small space. The atmosphere was more like a party than a formal fashion show, which seemed perfect for the designs. Alison also enjoyed the event and felt it was a success.
The outfits matched our impression of Alison – playful, romantic, and relaxed. Most had clean, unfitted profiles and were one color (mostly black or white), sometimes punched up with subtle colors on the dresses or tights. A few of the dressier items were strapless with flirtatious, slightly risqué keyhole cutouts at the bodice. According to Alison, “I designed the collection with myself in mind, for women in their 20s and 30s who want to be a little bit fun and dress up a little bit…a little pretty and romantic.”Explained Alison, “I’ve been making clothing since I was a child, and my designs are always evolving…After Project Runway, I changed how I approach design, and wanted to design something more fun and creative, something that I myself would enjoy.”
The Sixties and Italian movies were some of her influences for the current collection. The collection also included gold, silver, and enameled jewelry designed by Alison.The clothing appeared to compliment a variety of body types. The models ranged in height from 5 foot 3 inches to almost 6 foot tall – and the clothing looked in-scale and flattering on all of them. Because there were no ‘skeletal’ models, it was easy to imagine these clothes on any physically fit, fashion-forward woman.
While Alison’s outfits would be appropriate for many non-formal settings, they were an especially good fit with the gallery’s whimsical art collection. After all, it seems appropriate to hold a fashion show in a space that also features an installation by Alex Eagleton called “Items Worth Millions,” where the artist enveloped vintage clothing in pink gaffer tape and gold chains.Alison’s future plans? “I think I might show my clothes in a larger show next season, but it’s nothing to rush into. I am now working on a Spring/Summer collection that I will show next September.”
Click here to comment.