For this season, Zulema “drew inspiration from two sources – the architecture of Frank Gehry and the design concepts of visual artist Nick Cave… their unapologetic use of materials and bold use of scale is modern and innovative, inspiring me to create a collection that is reflective of a new, innovative direction in my own designs.” When asked who she designed for, Zulema said, “the woman who will wear these clothes has to have strength and confidence…she doesn’t let others define how she dresses.”The clothes themselves were interesting in the contrast they presented. Most of the outfits used somber shades of gray, black, or brown, but in luxurious fabrics like metallics, waxed wools, cashmere, and jacquards. The bold accents and accessories more than made up for the stark colors – one very cool mahogany jacket incorporated blue and red hair extension details. I totally would have bought it, as well as a few other outfits. As fitting the Frank Gehry inspiration, many of the outfits used shingling and sharp lines.
While most of the models were the usual Size 0, Zulema also hired a few larger models, including one Size 10. To quote Zulema, “I love the skinny bitches and I love the big bitches. I choose models with presence.”
She was charming – Shetangi was not in the room. Zulema was glad that Blogging Project Runway was following her professional progression and had these words for the blog readers: “I know many of you are interested in fashion. You should follow your dream … I knew someone who designed really hideous house dresses. He ended up selling them on QVC and made lots of money. There’s a place in the industry for everyone.”BPR thanks Nancy T for this great report!
Click here to comment.