Saturday, September 08, 2007

Snoopy in Fashion Report Continued

The show benefited Dress for Success, a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping women achieve economic independence. At the show, both she and Tim Gunn emphasized their support for the charity and asked that BPR fans do their part to help, through financial and clothing donations and by bidding for the show’s fashions when they become available October 1st on Ebay. . Note that on Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style, high-quality clothes that are not ‘keepers’ are donated to Dress for Success – you can do it too.

Before the show, I spoke with Laura’s husband Peter and her sons Truman (age 8) and Pierson (age 5), while Laura dealt with interviews and last-minute details backstage. All of Laura’s men were charming! Pierson was especially looking forward to the show since he modeled in the Child Magazine show last February. His favorite part of fashion shows: “I like to walk on stage.” When asked how Project Runway had changed his life, Peter replied “It hasn’t changed much, there are just more and more mannequins around!” Laura and her family sat in the front row next to Jeannie Schulz, widow of Peanuts creator Charles Schulz.

I spoke briefly to Laura after the show. She was happy and proud of the event and her dresses, “They are glamorous, they are my style.” She was pleased to participate in the show, both for the Peanuts connection: (“I remember eagerly waiting each year for the Peanuts shows to air. I’m a long-time fan”) and for the chance to help Dress for Success.

Upcoming Laura Bennett appearances:
- she is featured in an upcoming episode of Tim Gunn’s Guide to Style
- She will be walking the red carpet at the Emmys
- On February 1, she’ll debut a collection called “The Little Black Dress” on QVC

Tim Gunn bonus discussion: I also couldn’t pass up the chance to talk to Tim Gunn about his Tim Gunn's Guide to Style program. “I’m very pleased with it…You know, we filmed two episodes, took a break to do Project Runway, then filmed six more episodes. During the break, the producers took a hard look at the first episodes and made some changes to tighten the program. You’ll notice some changes, but they are all for the better.”

The hardest part of making TGGTS? “At least half of the makeovers hit a point of stagnation in the journey. I would sometimes despair. But the stars were in proper alignment, I suppose. At some point, sometimes late in the process, things would turn around. It was thrilling when they finally got it.”

Readers—there is so much I could tell you about the wonderful evening at Bryant Park – the tents, the fashions, the people. If you have any questions, feel free to post them in comments and I’ll try to answer!

Thanks so much, Nancy T, for taking all of us along with you!

Click here to comment.