As is typical for most shows, the doors opened late, and we went inside the cathedral. Here we found the typical runway and chair set up, but in this setting, everything was taken to a whole different level. There was a large video projection screen where the pulpit would be, the runway was down the center with the large arched rooftop overhead, and the chairs were set up facing the runway. Atop the chairs was a sheet of paper with notes and thanks from Jeffrey as well as a quote identifying some his influence for the show: “One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time. - Andre Gide” Personally, I think this is beautiful.
As people took their seats, we had the opportunity to sit down, but I wanted to stay at the end of the runway with the rest of the press. I knew I’d get much better photos! Although let me just say that there is no photo included of Jeffrey, as my camera died during the finale! My battery was eaten so fast by my flash. But at least everyone can see the collection.
After a brief announcement from the organizers, the show started. A video of what looked like an animation of heart and birds and blood was projected on the screen, topped with the words Cosa Nostra by Jeffrey Sebelia, the music started, and the show began.
As with his Fall/Winter 2007 show, Jeffrey started and ended the show with a pair of models, though this time with a man and woman instead of two women. After reading about his influences for the show in the LA Times article I was very intrigued to see how Jeffrey would interpret Christopher McCandless’ journey from Into the Wild into his already existing personal aesthetic. What we saw was a lot of shine, white, silver, hoods, some actual color, and a lot more wearable sportswear pieces. As I am a dress hound, those were my favorites, but all the works had amazing detail. It might be hard to see in the photos, but a lot of things that you wouldn’t expect had shine to them, like denim.
My favorites from the show: a dress with an off center gap that revealed shiny metallic fabric inside;

a gorgeous white printed dress with piping at the waist and a sweet vintage neckline;

a draped metallic silver dress with drawstring hem;

and a beautiful printed fabric with pinks that Jeffrey used in dresses as well as the more risqué finale look.

After the show ended, everyone, Jeffrey included, ended up in the courtyard. The only other Project Runway person I spotted with Santino Rice, who was front row center for the show. In fact he’s behind the models in most of my shots. Unlike the last show, I didn’t spot Jeffrey’s mom or stepdad, or any models from past collections. Though on a personal note, one of the models in Jeffrey’s show is a model I hired for my own Spring/Summer 2008 collection shoot. Though I have no photo of Jeffrey, he looked good. Mostly the same, with tight jeans, T-shirt, and hat. Just like in the LA Times article.

Overall, I was blown away by the show. Much like his last collection, the attention to detail is amazing, and probably doesn’t show on camera. But it is there. Also, both shows really revealed a softer more romantic side to the character that reality TV created. Watching him interact, he seems sweet and real. And like at the last show, I had clear opportunities to talk with him after the show, but didn’t take them. I picture the conversation in my head and I can’t possibly see how my gushing would be interesting to him. Here in LA we see famous people all the time and are trained to just leave them alone. But maybe next time I’ll say hello. I have to remind myself that he’s just a regular LA dweller like me.

See Christine's slide show of photos here.
Click here to comment.