LK: Are you a stylist now - as well as everything else?
TG: NO.
LK: Tim, speaking of stylists - who is Veronica's stylist?
TG: (Pause) Veronica.
Time to try a new topic....
LK: How do you like working for Liz Claiborne?
TG: Immeasurably.
LK: So, do you make five million dollars?
TG: YES! Plus a bonus!
He is kidding of course, but things were beginning to pick up.
Or maybe it was just the wine.
LK: Describe your typical day.
TG: I arrive at about 7:30, check my e-mail and my calendar...
LK: (Interrupting) Do you have a Blackberry? (Because I want one...)
TG: No, I have a Trio and I hate it.
LK: Sorry - anyway?
TG: I prepare for any meetings, I eat lunch at my desk.
LK: No power lunches?
TG: I usually eat at my desk. I have meetings and appointments in the afternoon.
LK: What is your exercise routine?
TG: There is a beautiful indoor pool at my new apartment building and I'm sorry to say that I have never been in it. I get my exercise just walking around the city.
Okay, anyone who has been stalking the pool at London Terrace hoping for a glimpse of Tim in his Speedos can go home now.
LK: How do you take your coffee?
TG: What?
(I thought it was an interesting question - maybe not)
TG: With milk, or black in the afternoon. And I don't like Starbucks. I get it from the can. (The can? Is that like Maxwell House?) The street vendors. Of course Heidi likes Starbucks, so if I have to get it, I get a latte.
(Note to self - do not offer to take Tim to Starbucks.)
LK: I know you are a fan of Top Chef, have you ever been to Harold Dieterle's restaurant, Perilla?
TG: No, but I would like to go, I love Harold.
(Next time - Perilla.)
LK: During the taping for Season Three, did you notice that Laura Bennett was wearing a BPR tank?
TG: YES! Of course! I wore my BPR T-shirt to the set one day and they asked me to change.
I had been re-reading Tim's book on the plane and there were a couple of references in there that I frankly suspected did NOT come from Tim. I couldn't resist asking about them.
LK: Tim, have you ever gotten a spray tan? Used self-tanner?
Pause for a moment and imagine Tim in a tanning booth.
TG: (laughs) No.
LK: How about a pedicure?
TG: No, that is far too "up close and personal."
Ahem. Time for a new topic.
LK: Describe your childhood room.
TG: (Smiles) Bunkbeds and cowboy wallpaper. (Awwww....)
TG: I had very few friends, but recently a chilhood friend named Craig contacted me and we are back in touch. This is actually the second time this has happened.
LK: And as a boy you played with...
TG: Legos.
LK: Tim, what would we find in YOUR underwear drawer? (Nice segue, eh?)
TG: ....
LK: Boxers or briefs?
TG: Briefs.
Then I recalled that Tim had been asked this before and I think he said "boxer briefs." So this topic may require further investigation.
LK: Why is there no "Road to the Runway" for Season Four?
TG: I don't know, I'm very disappointed.
LK: What are we going to love about Season Four?
TG: The level of execution is impeccable. We even have lined coats.
LK: What is your favorite season of Project Runway?
TG: Season Four. (I KNEW he would say that.)
LK: But you don't know the outcome - the finale collections could be awful.
TG: They won't be. The finalists are all so talented that I don't even care who wins. This is the best season, you will agree.
LK: What was your favorite challenge in Season One?
TG: The first one.
LK: Season Two?
TG: The Flower Market.
Here the discussion digressed into which were "good challenges" and which had "good results." For instance the Ice Skating Challenge was interesting and a "good challenge" but the judging and the results caused a lot of anger on BPR. I am not totally certain if Tim answered that the Dog Challenge was his favorite from Season Three, but we agreed that Uli deserved the win. Tim also felt that Uli deserved the win on the "Everyday Woman" challenge. At this point I think I complained about some of the guest judges and Tim defended them. He also says we can expect some fabulous guest judges in Season Four. Of course.
Back to the book...
LK: How do you pronounce "chypre?"
TG: "SY-pree." Its origin is "Cyprus."
LK: Thanks.
See, BPR is educational!
Although there is a chapter in the book about fragrances, as far as I can tell, Tim doesn't wear any cologne.
LK: How are the book sales?
TG: Fabulous! We are going into our third printing!
LK: So you must be making a fortune.
TG: No, I was paid a flat fee up front. But I have better representation now. They say my book contract is the worst they have ever seen.
LK: So, (I am about to ask an idiotic question) Are you working on a second book?
TG: No.
I recalled that Tim had many cartons of books to move into his new apartment, so I figure he is quite a reader...
LK: What are you reading?
TG: ....
LK: Spy novels? Mysteries? Harry Potter?
TG: No no I don't read novels (!) mostly biographies, histories and fashion magazines.
LK: Of course.
TG: I have to keep up for my job at Claiborne. I read Vogue, (here he gave a list of magazines and I didn't write them all down - sorry.)
We know that Tim has a friendship with Grace Mirabella and here he shared an anecdote about her and continued to talk about various magazine editors. He shares a birthday with Diana Vreeland - exactly 50 years apart! It is evident that Tim has a keen and sincere interest in the fashion press and a thorough knowledge of the history of not just fashion - but specifically fashion publications.
Wouldn't Tim be a fabulous magazine editor?
LK: Looking back over three seasons of Project Runway - who do you believe will be the most successful from each season?
TG: (Ever the diplomat) All of them. Any and all of them will be incredibly successful - taking different paths, but I have confidence in each one.
LK: Even Vincent?
TG: (Laughs.)
It was getting late, I asked Tim to sign a book for us. He added a little caricature of himself - it's really cute. We'll have to come up with a contest for the book. Any suggestions?
Tim was and always has been incredibly gracious and generous with BPR. Thanks again, Tim. We love you!
Click here to comment.