Saturday, January 26, 2008

BPR Interview With Kit Pistol (cont.)



BPR: Did you have a favorite childhood outfit? What did your bedroom look like?

KP: I was totally obsessed with saving the environment as a young kid and I had this pink shirt with whales on it that said "clean oceans happy whales" with these whales smiling on it. I still have it-my bf wears it now.. kinda amazing.

But really I remember the most picking out my dress for my first holy communion. It was the first time I can remember feeling really pretty in a dress that I loved... mostly because it was like opalescent and I had these white glitter shoes that I absolutely loved. I wanted to show off my outfit at church so I walked down the aisle super slow... i mean reeeeaaallly slow... the kids behind me were passing me to get their communion! My mom was traumatized.... but I just wanted to make sure everyone saw my pretty dress and shoes! My first experience with the thrill of a "runway"!

I shared my room with my sister and it was nothing special except we each had these giant ballerinas above our beds with our names on them. Oh! and we had a gum plate, I think inspired by Willie Wonka. We saved our old gum on it, kinda gross.

BPR: Elisa Jimenez called you one her "stunning lifefriends". Can you talk a bit about the relationship you formed with her during the show?

KP: Elisa is one of those people you can talk about anything with. She has a stunning command of language and experience. One minute we were having philisophical conversations, the next making stupid jokes or being honestly interested in the benefits of bee pollen, which i found to be kinda gross actually. Elisa is kind, brilliant, talented, imaginative, and honest. Who wouldnt want to know her? I desparately want to visit her in New Mexico and make puppets... maybe a giant Tim Gunn puppet? Fun right?

BPR: You also have talked about your grandmother as having a big influence on your love of fashion. How has she inspired your life as a designer?

KP: When my siblings and I grew up my grandma would watch us and we would play dress up in all her fab clothes and jewelry. She worked at a thrift store then (how rad!! called Pink Pennies!) and would bring home crazy costumes and weird s**t for us to play dress up in. She has a penchant for the bizarre and always gifts me amazingly weird presents and jewelry.

My grandmother has always cared about her appearance, not in a superficial way, but taught me the honest interest in dressing. She always has on matching earrings and necklaces and in her glory days was a fox! At 84 she is one of the most modern individuals I have ever met and sharp as a tack. She has a biting sense of humor and is brutally honest. Her perspective on life keeps me grounded and motivated to do my work.

BPR: You seem to love accessories and we noticed that you are now selling your hair ornaments at Fred Segal! What are your favorite pieces?

KP: I do, I do! I am so bored without accessories... my favorite hair accessory right now is my black patent leather bow with feathers!

BPR: What advice would you give someone seeking a career as a stylist?

KP: I think the best way to start is to assist another stylist and learn from them. And to get a cute pair of flats! There is a lot of walking and carrying heavy garment bags!

BPR: Besides Project Runway, what TV show is your favorite?

KP: Family Guy and The Mighty Boosh.

BPR: Who is your dream celebrity client?

KP: This is always such a hard question... celebs these days do too many transformations. But I love Cate Blanchett.

BPR: What's next for Kit Pistol and where can we find you?

KP: I am loving life, selling accessories online at
kitpistol.com and at Fred Segal, and also working on my ready-to-wear collection and when and where it will be available, BPR will be the first to know!

xox kit

Click here to comment.