With 6 designers showing, did the decoy models get as much hair and makeup time as the finalists?
A: It might seem that some models walked for more than one designer, but that is just because some of them might look similar. I can assure you that each model only wore one outfit, in one collection.
The decoy models and final three collection models got equal time in hair and makeup because they couldn't allow anyone to know just from wandering around backstage who was who!
Q: From George: Well, on a touch-go subject here, as the models competing in PR don't get paid for their time on the show, do they for Fashion Week show? I definitely hope they're going to have better treatment (let alone less challenges where they don't even walk) coming seasons.
Did you enjoy the recent presidential debate??
A: Yes, the finale show PAYS! (And pretty well too.) Haven't you ever wondered how they get much better models for the big finale show? ;) Also.. The final three get first pick from the casting.. the other three get the leftovers. Ouch.
I always love a great debate. I will leave it at that.. just because I don't want to get on a soapbox and start ranting about who I want to win!
Q: From Brenda: Can models ever suggest a different shoe or outfit if they truly feel uncomfortable in what a designer has chosen? Or do you pretty much have to wear what they assign you?
A: Nine times out of ten you have to wear what they assign you, although if you feel like you can't walk in the shoes you are always welcome to let them know. Designers don't want models falling down on their runway! That is unwelcome attention. Also especially with gowns, if you feel it is too long and you might trip, you can always let them know!
Q: From Carol: How early do models typically show up for Fashion Week? Last season Christian Siriano had a model who showed up barely with enough time to be put in her outfit.
Also, what about fittings like before the Fashion show? Are models typically paid for that since it does take their time?
Are the models paid for Fashion Week for Project Runway and what about them coming to a fitting?
A: The Project Runway finale takes place at 9am. The call time is 6am. I know it's early but come on, models! You can make it work! Fittings generally don't pay a separate rate, the rate for the show is usually all-inclusive. There are rare occasions when it does pay. Yes, the PR Finale Show in Bryant Park pays! :)
Q: From CeeCee: Here's kind of a hot-potato question for you! Did you think Leanne's switching from Karalyn to Tia was understandable? Karalyn said that she has more of a "normal" body; I thought she did a great job and was quite slender. Thanks for asking for questions!
A: Every designer is unique and has their own point of view for their collection. The only rationalization I can come up with for Leanne to switch would be that Karalyn is more of a sexy model, while Tia is more willowy. Meaning.. Karalyn is fabulous but perhaps not right for this particular show.
Q: From mtfbwy: So, questions! I only have one. How do they film the finalists runway shows without filming all the other models running around back there? I glimpsed Kara's just a bit way back when, but the last couple of finales, I would never have known about the dummy runway shows if it hadn't been for what I read online. All I can think is that maybe you are kept in different rooms, or they are filming everyone and just being careful with the editing.
A: The backstage area is all one area.. but each designer has their own little section for prep. Make-up stations and hair stations are labeled with each designer's name. Since there are so many cameras running around back there and sheer pandemonium... it is hard to tell who is what unless you are a model and have been on the casting and the fitting! (They only film the fittings for the final three).
Q: From Ali: Amanda, not counting yourself, who is your all-time favorite model on Project Runway? Choose any model from any season?
Is it Martinique (from season 1)? Grace (from season 2)? Nazri (from season 3)? Lea (from season 4)? Karalyn (from season 5)? Some other model? My all-time favorite model on Project Runway is Marcia (from season 4). Seeing her in the avant-garde dress that Christian and Chris created was unforgettable. She really helped make that dress memorable.
A: Thank you, Ali! My favorite model, based on performance on the runway ALONE is Morgan from season 1. She came out onto the runway and just owned every second of it. No wonder Kenley was quick to snatch her up for her finale collection! I adore every model you mentioned as well. You know how to pick 'em!!
Thank you for all of your questions! This Project Runway Finale was so amazing to be a part of and I had such a blast! Walking that long runway in the Tent in Bryant Park is just something I will never get over. As soon as I got backstage after my walk I said, "Whoo! That is the biggest high ever!"
I model because I love it. Every second.
Sending love from the bottom of my heart!!!
xoxoxo Amanda
Click here to comment.