Tuesday, October 18, 2011

An Interview with Project Runway Australia Designer Johnny Schembri - Continued




Definitely. I have the foundation of my brand all set up, so when people go online, I’m already there. I’ve noticed a lot more overseas sales coming through, because people are downloading the show online. So it’s definitely growing. And I will be showing in New York someday.  


But is it a legitimate stepping stone for a designer? Because in America, some of the "Project Runway" contestants are incredibly talented, but making a mark on the industry can be a challenge, the industry can be too big and corporate.


In this economy, new stores are not really trusting new designers or taking risks, so having a face for people to recognize and have a talking point has been really great when going around to boutiques, and you don't have to worry about those cold-calls. So it’s what you make of it. People think that after being on the show, they’re just going to sit around and people are going to approach them. But it’s more about what you do with what you’ve got.


It seems like designers there do well.  Several "Australia" designers have already met with success after the show, like Julie Grbac's (winner of Season 1) line of uniforms for Virgin Blue.


Uniforms are a good way to bring in cash. It’s just units, you don't have to think about it, it just goes to the manufacturer, and you collect orders. It’s good work for a beginning designer. Some of my first jobs were designing uniforms, that’s what helped me start my label.


I’m going to ask you a few questions about Australia that non-Australians may not understand. First: Who is (host) Megan Gale?


Megan Gale was really really massive about 10 years ago. She did big campaigns in Italy, I forget what,* and as soon as she was massive over there, we claimed her as an Australian. Then David Jones (a department store chain) made her “the face of David Jones” all around Australia. She’s just been a supermodel within the industry. She’s older now, but when she was younger, she was the It Girl.


Who is (mentor) Alex Perry?


Alex Perry is a couterier designer, he started off doing made-to-measures, but for the past 5 or 6 years he’s done ready-to-wear and he has massive shows at Australian Fashion Week. He’s the one to watch. He’s not big overseas at all, but in Australia in regards to red carpet, he’s the It Thing. There are many designers who are amazing, but Alex is also a judge on “Australia’s Next Top Model” and because he’s a TV personality with this that and the other, he’s the one who gets them all.


Was he good as a mentor?


Alex was amazing. Growing up I always watched him grow into the designer he is today. Getting the chance to work with him was great.


That just means he’s a good designer. He’s supposed to be there to help you. I have to be honest: when I first started watching your season, I thought he was a jerk, with his condescending remarks, walking around with his puffed-out chest and his tight shirts with the tiny cuffs cutting off circulation to his arms…


No, no, he definitely helped us out. He’s not a warm fuzzy person naturally, he’s not Tim Gunn, but he’s got his own thing. It’s like tough love. And since the show ended, he has met me for coffee to see how things are going and put me in line with people to dress for red carpets. For him to take time out of his busy schedule, after the show, and sit down and talk to me to see how things are going, that says something.


In an episode of your show, you went to “the Gold Coast.” What exactly is the Gold Coast?


The Gold Coast is the northeast side of Australia, it’s the top peak. It’s always really hot, it’s close to the equator. It’s basically Miami—a lot of girls there love to wear lots of color, and sequins…I used to go every year with my parents, but I wouldn’t go there now. Although on that episode we went to the Marriott, and the pool there is amazing, I would stay there for sure. 


What is the difference between Sydney and Melbourne?


Sydney is pretty; Melbourne is not as pretty, but it’s full of culture. So Sydney is the pretty sister, but Melbourne is the intelligent, interesting sister. Melbourne has more to offer in regards to culture, and wining and dining, and theater and music and festivals. Sydney has the great weather and the beautiful harbor, but when you really pick it to pieces…I can think of more amazing restaurants in Melbourne than in Sydney. But the gay boys in Sydney are cuter. The gay scene in Melbourne is tiny.


Back to the show: do you think Dylan deserved to win?


I think so. Being the youngest, he needed that push—


That’s not what I asked. Based on the final collections, do you think he deserved to win?


Personally, no. I did like how he printed on velvet, which is really difficult and that came out really nice. But I didn’t really die for what he did. Of course he’s also said that about mine.


*[Ed. note: Meagan Gale was a spokesperson for Vodafone, a telecommunications company. She appeared in their commercials.]