Monday, January 09, 2012

BPR Interview with Elisa Jimenez - Continued

How long have you been able to write backwards?

I started writing backwards around 16, maybe younger for two very distinct reasons: first, one of my first crushes was Leonardo Da Vinci and I did it because he did it and I thought it was cool and looked beautiful, second was growing up in an artists' household and having kept a sketchbook since I was about 3-ish, your family always looks through your sketchbook and I went to arts high school where you had to show your sketchbook. Backwards writing became a way to deter people from reading my more private stories and contemplations! Now, the backwards writing like on my hand-drawn blessing angel and fairy shirts becomes a revealing for the wearer when they read it on themselves in the mirror. Its like innocent magic secret stories and blessings.

Besides fashion design, what else do you enjoy?

I have a plethora of enjoyments and disciplines besides fashion and fashioning. My friends tease me that I have a way transforming my enjoyments into disciplines. I draw, paint, sculpt, make marionettes and puppets from three inches to 30 feet tall, write, research various topics constantly, teach, mentor, yoga, a bit of running, cooking especially baking and soups, a touch of alchemy, and oral tradition storytelling. I have recently been doing photos and making petite and collaborative films. I am an eager novice.
I also adore being a mother and pester my daughter constantly to go for outings and adventures...its about a 1 out 15 ratio, but for a teen, I suppose that is to be expected.


How old is Calliope now?

My daughter Calliope is an awesome 15 year old now, and yes, I may be slightly partial, yet even if I just met her as a random young person I would still find her wise, independent, beautiful, and talented.


Is she artistic too?

Calliope is exceptionally gifted in the arts, however she really sees herself more as a writer and is incredibly self disciplined in her writing and studies. Her artwork is wonderful, but she sees that as an "extra" skill, not a focus.


How did you learn about the opportunity to appear on the All-star season?

I was invited to participate with Project Runway All Stars. However, it came at a very interesting and pivotal time for me and I had been doing intense meditation work and asking for a "something". Project Runway All Stars was and is indeed that "something." You must be very clear with yourself when you are in concentrated work situations and especially those where your methods and perhaps even your placement is being challenged. I came out stronger and more confident about who I am as a creator and person. After all, it does take a crucible to create precious metals!

Did you do anything special to prepare for the competition?

Yes, I did do a variety of preparations akin to those I do before other large projects, like Fashion Weeks. I trained my body to require less sleep, I turned to my community of clients and friends to think tank how I could be more proactive with social media, I collected a series of strong, centering meditations, and reduced my daily 1 1\2 hour yoga to 15-20 mins.
More importantly I made a commitment to myself and my community that I would articulate my beliefs and methods with strength, grace, and confidence.


What was the best thing about competing on All-Stars?

The three best things about competing on Project Runway All Stars were the friendships created on both sides of the production collaboration and the opportunity once again, to more powerfully participate in the pop culture dialogue between creator\designer and audience\fans, and to have a critique with Issac Mizrahi. I have always admired his work and his constant re-invention of himself and his business over the years.


Who were your best friends from the cast?

You know it is not my nature to set apart others to pick favorites, yet, I was gifted the delightful and mutually respected friendships with Gordana, who is truly so sweet, so amazing in her strength and persona, Austin Scarlett who is just one of the most lovely people I am honored to call friend, Kara Janx who truly bestowed me such compliments on my artistry and Kenley who is the most crushable individual! I reinforced my friendships with Sweet P and Rami,and to be completely honest, I had meditated that if there were any colleagues from my season, I had desired Sweet P and Rami. Yet, really I enjoyed all the All Stars as people, and it goes without saying and without hubris...we are all exceptionally talented!

What are you working on now?

I must first say that I am always making and always creating. It is both a career and a way of living beautifully for me. I have been working a petite series of drawings, large drawings, a NYC pen and ink portrait series that is evolving into larger select portraits in spring, an oil triptych portrait for a dear friend and patron, 3 new marionettes, a photo series of the marionettes and vignette short films and film collaborations with marionettes and live action, my collection for New York Fashion Weeks fashion Performance, "Fancy Returns to The Garden" and a very special 12-look collection being premiered Jan 20 at ROCK the RUNWAY New Jersey being put on by my friend and model from Season 4, Lea Rannelles Comrie as a charity benefit to STOP BULLYING! That's this month!

Elisa, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

There is something I really must share with Project Runway fans and is THANK YOU. My first experience with Project Runway was quite disconnected and it wasn't until I had experienced people who regardless how I was synthesized and re-invented on the show, sincerely understood me and my work and even had made the effort of researching me before I ever appeared on the show to understand that I have and have had a miraculous and vivifying career in an industry which is not always known for benevolence or respect, especially as I am an artist who does fashion...not purely a fashion designer. It is the community out in the world and via internet that revealed to me the larger picture of Project Runway and its potential for creation and inspiration beyond my own opinions. It is because of this support and fan dialogue that I accepted Project Runway All Stars and the opportunity to be a good example of me and my honest creative accomplishments. Thank you again and Be Blessed in All You Do.

Ingraceandgoodness


THANK YOU ELISA!