Monday, February 27, 2012

BPR Interview with Mila Hermanovski - continued

BPR: Hi Mila,

Congratulations on your very strong showing in the All-Stars. Our readers disagree with your elimination.

MH: That's good to hear.

BPR: Did you watch last night's episode?

MH: I sure did. I had to watch it twice actually in order to comment on the after the runway show. Then last night I was tweeting when I watched it again.

BPR: Oh - was that rough?

MH: No not really. The first time, I was terrified. There is a fear of the unknown and how it would be edited. As everyone knows, the actual judging and deliberation are much longer than what you actually see, so I am always very interested to see what they choose to air.

BPR: If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?

MH: With that gown?

BPR: Yes.

MH: I think that on reflection, considering the parameters of the challenge, I might not have made such an extreme drop from one side to the other. Maybe I would have blended it a little. Also I might not have used the yellow piping. I might have used white instead. The way that the challenge was presented I felt like I had to use all of the colors of the flag.

BPR: Which was the most difficult challenge?

MH: For me, personally the most difficult was the Broadway challenge. The irony is that I work in costume all the time but the way the challenge was delivered to us we were supposed to make something that wasn't too costumey - and I would up making something costumey. It was confusing. There was a lot of contradictory information.

BPR: The viewers were confused too. We didn't understand the challenge either.

MH: One thing I recall very clearly that I don't believe was aired was that we were instructed to make a "fashionable" look that was appropriate for runway but "would be adapted" for a costume.

BPR: Who is your best friend from the cast?

MH: Definitely April. She is an amazing person and an old soul. Very mature for her age. We really understood each other. We had a lot of fun together. She was definitely my best friend on the show.

BPR: I can totally see that.

MH: And of course we both have that sort of dark side. We understood each other.

BPR: Do you regret anything that you said in the confessionals?

MH: I don't regret anything, because I am trying to be honest. The other designers sometimes are not able to distinguish between a personal attack and a professional design critique.

I don't think that I am critical of anyone personally.

I went to art school so I have a critical background and I am not offended if someone criticizes my work. I am offended if someone criticizes the way I look or says something mean about me or my personality.

Sometimes I get a bum edit where I am never seen smiling, I'm never seen having a good time or saying anything positive about anyone. I come across as grouchy, and I am really not like that.


BPR: What are you working on now?

MH: I am working on the next Star Trek film which is so fun and right up my alley. I am honored to be part of the costume department and working for Michael Kaplan who is an amazing costume department with a very impressive resume. I am very happy to be part of the team here.

BPR: Oh I can totally see that. That is HUGE. That is perfect for you. Congratulations!

MH: When I was offered the job I knew that it was a perfect fit.

BPR: Is there a title or a release date?

MH: Right now it is the "J.J. Abrams Untitled Star Trek Sequel."
We are filming through May so I think a 2013 release.


BPR: Isaac Mizrahi was particularly tough on you. Did your opinion of him change as the season went on?

MH: I know, right?

BPR: Yes, we saw it!

MH: I was appreciative that he was there as a judge who represented a "cleaner" design aesthetic. But let's face it, when you are a fashion designer and you are judging, you are going to respond to things that are in your wheelhouse. That's what was so great about having an editorial viewpoint on the panel.

We had two fashion designers and a model as our judges and I felt that the editorial view was missing.

Isaac didn't really appreciate the avant-garde direction that I was taking last night.

BPR: How did you like Joanna Coles as a mentor?

MH: I like her a lot. I was very concerned when I learned that she was our mentor because when she has been a judge on the show she has been pretty intense and critical. But I think she is a great mentor and I really grew to love her and appreciate her as the season went on.

One thing I really loved was how she brought up the issue of undergarments on the show. It's really nice to have that female point of view. Would Tim bring that up? I don't know… She was refreshing.


BPR: How was this season different from season 7?

MH: Well the level of talent is higher of course. But having been through this before, our eyes were open. We knew we would have to surrender our cell phones and personal effects when we arrived. But from a physical and emotional standpoint it's still just as hard. I did really appreciate the opportunity to get to know alums from other seasons.

BPR: Mila, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

MH: One thing is that during the deliberation, the judges seems to criticize me for sticking to my design aesthetic and someone even said that it was like I decided ahead of time what was going to make and that is certainly not true. I really put a lot of thought into the Papua New Guinea culture and I embraced the challenge and worked within the parameters, marrying the culture to my aesthetic to create my design. It was very important to be true myself. Isn't that what we are supposed to do on Project Runway? You aren't supposed to create something that doesn't look like it came from you. That is was I was taught by Michael, Nina, Heidi and Tim.

Thank you Mila.

Thank you, Laura.