Tuesday, July 17, 2012

BPR Interview with Mondo Guerra - Continued



  BPR: This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Project Runway All-Star Champion, Mondo Guerra - Hi Mondo! 


 MG: Hi Laura. 


 BPR: How has the prize money from the All-Star win changed your life? 


MG: Oh My Gosh - so much! I have invested it all into my business and my branding. 


 BPR: Are you showing at Fashion Week? 


 MG: No. A hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money but if I showed at fashion week with my own money, it would be gone in a minute. 


 BPR: Have you started the guest editor position at Marie Claire? 


 MG: No I have not started that yet. 


 BPR: Is it still in the works? 


 MG: Yes, right now I am working on the Neiman Marcus Collection and I really want to do it right, so I am concentrating on that right now. I want this to be accessible to my fans and I know that they are looking forward to it. 


 I understand that they are maybe getting a little impatient, but I will try to make it worth the wait. Also, I want to time this all to hit at the same time so that I can make a real impact.


 BPR: How many pieces are in the collection for Neiman Marcus? 


 MG: Ken and I got together and originally started with about 22 pieces. You know how I work - I am going in with 250 pieces and I have designed all the accessories, and the tags and all of the prints and everything else. 


I treated this as an artist. Anyway, we have narrowed everything down to about 12-15 pieces, but it might drop down to about nine. It is a true capsule collection.


BPR: Will you be at Fashion's Night Out? 


MG: I will be there, yes. 


BPR: Is there a specific location? 


MG: I will be at a major retail location along with other Project Runway designers.


BPR: Are you still living in Denver? 


MG: Yes, but I am commuting to New York. 


BPR: Will we see you in Season 10 of Project Runway?


MG: You might possibly see me around…. 


 [Editor's note: Mondo will be hosting the "Road to the Runway" special on Thursday night and he will also be writing recaps of each episode for The Hollywood Reporter.]


BPR: What can you tell us about Season 2 of All Stars? 


 MG: Oh well, I think the cast is amazing. I know the season 2 designers have not been revealed, but its a really competitive group. We have all been through it once, but for All-Stars everything is pumped up. 


Let me tell you that, given the cast, you are going to see some major triumphs and some major meltdowns. 


 BPR: Major drama? 


 MG: Major drama. 


 BPR: Tell us about your new eyewear collection. 


MG: Well, SEE Eyewear is not only a great product but also the best customer service hands down that I have ever experienced. 


When they approached me to design a collection I did not hesitate at all. I know a lot about eyewear and I certainly love to wear it. The collection is inspired by 1960's sitcoms,so there are references to certain shows that we watched in the 60's. 


My collection is also very architectural. I designed the collection is for women and men. The original collection is six designs but they have already asked me to do more. It's been really exciting. This could be my new career, designing eyewear! 


BPR: Tell us about the ProjectiDesign Campaign for Merck. 


MG: Project iDesign is a brand new awareness campaign for Merck. People who are living with HIV are all different so we recommend that patients take a "tailored approach" to their treatment plan. 


The campaign reminds us to check in with our doctors, to maintain the relationship and to be aware of viral load, cell counts and other health concerns. 


The new website is very interactive. You can actually design your own textile on it. 


Even if you are not HIV positive, you can visit the site and design a textile and there is lots of information there so that you can understand more about living with HIV. 


Basically we want HIV positive patients to be able to successfully manage the disease. I want to encourage everyone to visit the site. 


BPR: Mondo, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans? 


MG: Again, thank you so much for your support. It is a very exciting time right now. I want everyone to hang in there and in the meantime, please check out my website. 


BPR: Thank you Mondo. 


MG: Thank you, Laura.