Friday, August 17, 2012
BPR Interview with Raul Osorio, Continued
BPR: Did you watch the episode last night?
RO: I did.
BPR: Is there anything that happened during this challenge that we didn't see and you wish we had?
RO: They show that Elena forgot her fabric, but they didn't show that my fabric was taken for the skirt. This was a team challenge and I did work with my team the best I could.
BPR: If you could have chosen your team, which one would you have liked to work with?
RO: I will tell you who I would have liked to work with. I would have chosen to work with Christopher and Alicia.
BPR: Tell us about your fashion design training.
RO: I went to MCTC which is a community school in Minneapolis. I really learned to sew back home in Honduras. My family owns an academy where we actually teach sewing and so I was exposed to sewing for my entire life.
Maybe with the gown or the suit I had bitten off more than I could chew.
There are people commenting that I don't know how to sew or I don't have any construction skills or whatever, but they don't know. I mean they are only repeating what they heard on the show. It is very hard to read these things. It is almost like bullying.
BPR: Are you glad that you were brought back from your first elimination?
RO: Yes. I was glad that I was able to leave on a better note. That shirt represented who I am. If you look at the shirt and you look at Raul Osorio, you will see the relationship.
When I left the first time - that gown was horrible and I felt terrible about it, but it wasn't just me. I mean I don't want to make excuses.... It wasn't me and I didn't really care about it.
I like to work alone and in my own way.
BPR: Have you remained in touch with the other designers?
RO: Yeah. I became great friends with Buffi and Kooan and they didn't really show this on the show. It was just "Crazy Raul." Even the former designers who have blogs, they are saying things about me. They have forgotten what it is like. It is really hard.
BPR: Well, here is your chance to clear the air to say whatever you would like.
RO: Well, I am a great designer. I don't think I work as well under pressure and the show is very challenging. I couldn't deal with the drama and to work with people that I barely knew.
BPR: Are you a full-time designer?
RO: No. I work for a marketing company. Design is what I want to do, but here in Minneapolis, it is hard to pursue a full-time fashion career. I would really have to move.
BPR: If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?
RO: I think that I would be maybe nicer. That would have helped me to click with people. Instead of being so straightforward and honest - I mean that was a key issue.
It's not all about fashion, it's about personality. When you are working on a team, you should feel that they have your back. If they don't like you, they will not support you and I found that out.
BPR: It was very hard to watch you and Elena in this episode. Was it really as bad as it seemed? Would you like to clear the air?
RO: She is very difficult to work with. She is a perfectionist. When I left I was very angry. I screamed at her and called her names, I was very angry in the moment.
I want to say, that I did call Elena just before the episode aired. I told her that I actually like her and I was just angry. It is easy to judge but come on. I was put through a lot. I was already eliminated and no one wanted to work with me. I was very defensive and angry.
BPR: What are you working on now?
RO: I am working, as I said for a marketing company, and also I am working on my menswear line. I don't know what will happen, but hopefully I will have more opportunities.
I want to re-brand myself and show what I am really all about.
BPR: Raul, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
RO: I love them. Thank you for supporting me. Even with all of the hate and the love that I got, It was a great experience.
BPR: Thank you!
Click here to visit Raul's website.
