This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Season 10 designer, Gunnar Deatherage. Hi Gunnar.
Hi Laura.
Congratulations on your strong showing.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
BPR: Your mom is adorable.
GD: Thank you so much. I love her.
BPR: Did she know that you were eliminated in this episode?
GD: No, and I didn't tell her because it would have taken the joy out of the season for her.
I think she could tell when she got there that I was just sort of...spent.
BPR: Of course we have seen your collection, it was a complete surprise.
Is there any specific connection to these tribal influences?
GD: I met someone just before I left for the show, and I had no idea if he would even be waiting for me...but as it turned out, I came home and there he was. He was studying Australian culture and tribal culture and it was just very easy for me to jump on board and just be inspired by the tribal vibe.
I got a lot of comments about how unexpected this collection was from me. I mean it was probably the most surprising of any of our collections.
That's what we are supposed to do as designers. I mean if I would have created ten looks that you had already seen, but in different colors and textiles, it wouldn't have been fun for you guys to see, so the more that I branch out and propel myself forward, the more exciting it is to watch.
BPR: Is this the same collection you would have made if you were a finalist?
GD: No.
BPR: So you really took the opportunity to go out on a ledge.
GD: They can't eliminate me and they can't beat me. If I was being judged, I might have played it more safe. It would not have been as interesting. The pressure was off. I am extremely proud of this collection. I mean I am 22 years old and I didn't go to fashion school and now I have shown at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.
BPR: It's obvious that you are a true student of the show. Had you given any thought to what you would design for the HP challenge?
GD: I did, but it still caught me off guard. I mean there was the element of family and it was at a point where we were really tired. It was a lot to take in, and I have never designed fabric before. I didn't know what to do. I thought about the bullying angle and took the opportunity to speak to that. I just went with it.
BPR: Have you remained in touch with Christopher?
GD: I haven't.
BPR: What about the other designers?
GD: I actually haven't been in touch with anyone but Elena.
BPR: So is she your best friend from the cast?
GD: Absolutely.
BPR: We don't really know the models very well. What is the name of your model?
GD: Lauren. She is awesome. We actually have a lot in common. We even have the same birthday.
BPR: Are you back in Louisville?
GD: Yes.
BPR: Are you considering a move to New York?
GD: Definitely not. I would rather shoot myself than to move to New York.
BPR: Which was your favorite challenge?
GD: The Starving Artist challenge. It was great to get out of the workroom.
BPR: The public had to know that this was an episode of Project Runway.
GD: They absolutely did and we were allowed to say so. Are you kidding? That's the only way we got any money!
BPR: What did you do to prepare for the competition?
GD: Would you laugh if I said absolutely nothing.
BPR: No actually I get that answer a lot.
BPR: What advice would you offer to future contestants?
GD: Don't take it too seriously. It's easy to get all caught up emotionally. Some of these designers feel like it is their last chance to make it in the industry, but I understand that I am 22 years old and doors will continue to open and close for me.
I took it seriously but to an extent I wasn't devastated. I mean last season I was definitely devastated and this season I was far more real. I have businesses to go home to and loved ones and I just didn't take it as seriously. It was a great opportunity. It was an opportunity to just show everyone what I was about.
BPR: What are you working on now?
GD: I am enjoying some free time. I mean I have always worked 2 or 3 jobs. I want a vacation... I don't know, maybe I will be a creative director for some photos shoots. I mean I also love interior design. Maybe I will do some visual merchandising for stores. I just have to take a break from sewing.
BPR: What was the best thing about appearing on the show?
GD: I kind of like it when people stop me and ask for a picture.
BPR: Do you make an attempt to dress for the public?
GD: No, not at all. In fact, I rented a studio when I was working on the collection and I rolled up in cut offs and a t-shirt and all sorts of people recognized me and I was fine with it.
To be honest, I don't usually dress up the way that I did on the show.
BPR: Gunnar, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
GD: I really appreciate all of my fans. People have been so supportive and I am very grateful. I try to respond to every message and I just really want to thank you all.