Tuesday, October 09, 2012

BPR Interview with Sonjia Williams - Continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Season 10 designer, Sonjia Williams.  Hi Sonjia!

SW:  Hello.

BPR:  Even though you were eliminated, you still got to show a collection at Fashion Week.  Congratulations!

SW:  Thank you.

BPR:  Of course I could tell right away that it was you.

SW:  Yes, the first look had the head wrap...

BPR:  That's a great signature for you.  Have you always worn a head wrap?

SW:  Actually, it's kind of my "bad hair day" look.  Sometimes I just like the way it will make my outfit look and if I don't have time to fix my hair, I can still look fun and funky.

BPR:  Is this the same collection you would have made if you were still in the competition?

SW:  Yes.  Whether they love or hate it, doesn't matter.  Even when I was in the competition I never really wanted to make things that were safe and that what the judges wanted.  I just wanted to make something that was really "me" and that is what I did for the finale.




BPR:  Which is your favorite design in the collection?

SW:  Definitely my finale piece.  It was short, it was long, had fringe in the middle...

BPR:  We hardly get to know the models.  What is your model's name? 

SW:  Her name is Alex.

BPR:  Have you kept in touch?

SW:  Absolutely.   In fact we just talked the other day - she is moving to Paris.  She was a genuinely good person.  She really helped me relax.

BPR:  Which was your favorite challenge?

SW:  It's between the candy challenge and the kid challenge.  I was really out of my element so it was fun to do it well.

BPR:  Well you were robbed in the candy challenge...

SW:  Thank you.

BPR:  Have you seen your baby design in the store?  Have you purchased it?

SW:  My mom purchased it!  I took a photo...I didn't think I should have to purchase my own design...

BPR:  Who was your best friend from the cast?

SW:  I don't think I could say I have a best friend.  Christopher and I have similar personalities.  I talk or text to Melissa, Elena, Alicia.  

Dmitry and I facebook...The people who were around the longest, obviously I got to know the best.

BPR:  Your elimination was heartbreaking, if you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?

SW:  I might have chosen some different fabrics.  It's so hard, I mean there are only 30 minutes in Mood.  I don't sketch so I am shopping but I am also being inspired and coming up with my design.  It's a lot to happen in 30 minutes.

I don't take back anything though.  I feel good about what I made mostly.  Everything happens for a reason.   Especially with the piece I was eliminated with - I mean I love that piece - it really represented me as a designer.  if I had been eliminated for the Rockettes challenge I might feel differently, but the avant-garde piece I really liked.

BPR:  Besides fashion, what are your other interests?

SW:  I love athletics, I ran track in high school, I danced in college, I was a gymnast.  Anything I do, I want to be the best at.  I am very competitive.  I play the piano.  I love movies, I love jewelry, I love crochet.  I'm actually an old lady at heart.

BPR:  What are you working on now?

SW:  I have returned to my blog.  I am selling pieces in my etsy store.  I will take photos of pieces that I have made, post them on my blog and then sell them in my etsy shop.  I am hoping that more opportunities will come my way.

BPR:  Sonjia, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

SW:  I want to thank everyone for their support.  I appreciate the twitter followers and the facebook friends.  It's hard to believe that I am an inspiration to others.  I certainly want to live up that.  I am very appreciative for all of the love and support.