BPR: This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with All-Star designer Althea Harper. Hi Althea!
AH: Hi Laura, how are you?
BPR: First please fill us in on what you have been doing since we saw you in season 6.
AH: I have been busy. I have several lines. Obviously my main signature line is Althea Harper. I also have an organic jersey line called Sittella, which is available online in stores. I also have been working with Quincy, a tailored collection for women, and I also have an athletic wear line which is launching in the spring. Right now, I have stepped down from Quincy and I am focusing more on Althea Harper, Sittella, and the athletic wear.
BPR: Our readers strongly disagree with your elimination.
AH: Thank you, I was very sorry to go.
BPR: Some of the designers really struggled, and your design seemed to be just what you wanted. If you could go back, would you change anything?
AH: No. Not really. The flaps that hung down at the sides were actually very different when we left the workroom. During transport to the runway, the flaps somehow came undone. That was not how they were supposed to be. I was a little disappointed because there were other occasions when designers were allowed to repair garments, but I approached the producers and asked if I could and I was turned down.
I did not feel that was fair. But ultimately at the end of the day, I could see the writing on the wall. The judges had certain favorites. Even if I had survived this challenge, I might have lasted only another week or two.
I did not feel that way during season 6. I didn't feel that I had to bring a certain "character" or "drama" to the set, but for All-Stars it was evident that the producers and judges were looking for characters.
I am not a character. I am a designer!
I am not going to act a certain way just to bring more drama to the screen.
BPR: It seemed that your fellow All-Stars really liked you. Who was your best friend from the cast?
AH: To be honest, I felt a little removed from most of the other designers, but I liked everyone.
BPR: Which was your favorite challenge?
AH: I really liked the spray paint challenge. It was definitely an All-Star challenge because first we had to create the print, and then work with the fabric which was kind of stiff - that presented certain design issues. I loved it.
BPR: Will you be at showing at Fashion Week in February?
AH: I am not 100% sure. Last season we put a lot of our budget into producing a great lookbook and then we booked appointments at the showroom. I feel that we actually got more orders this way. We will see if we get sponsorships, but producing a show is very expensive so I wouldn't mind doing the lookbook again.
BPR: How do you like being married?
AH: I love being married! Definitely. It's so sweet. I mean there are challenges. My husband is a resident at Yale, so he is in New Haven and it took a while to figure out how to make this work. Originally we were living in Connecticut and I would come to New York on weekends. My showroom is still in New York, but I recently moved my studio to New Haven, so this working better now.
BPR: Are you still working with Rowenta?
AH: Yes I am.
BPR: Althea, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
AH: Thank you very much. I really appreciate each fan. There is no better feeling that getting a tweet or an e-mail from a fan saying that they like my designs. There are a lot of designers out there and anyone who takes the time to look at my clothes and relate to them - it is just an honor for me.
BPR: Thank you Althea!
AH: Thank you Laura, and everyone at BPR.