Monday, February 11, 2013

BPR Interview with Cindy Marlatt, Continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with season 11 designer Cindy Marlatt, Hi Cindy!

CM:  Hi Laura!

BPR:  Congratulations on making it onto the cast of season 11!

CM:  Thank you so much.

BPR:  You are such an inspiration, I am heartbroken to see you eliminated.

CM:  Oh thank you.

BPR:  Have you been watching the show?

CM:  I watched the first two, but I have not seen the one that I was eliminated on.

BPR:  It seemed that the judges objected to your fabric choice more than your actual design in the last challenge, what made you choose that particular fabric?

CM:  I was getting a lot of opinions from other team members.  I normally use fabric with a little bit of stretch for fit and movement.  Even before we went to Mood, Benjamin had called out the fabric choice.  At that point I was so beaten down that I just didn't have the energy to object. 


BPR:  If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?

CM:  I have remade that dress a thousand times in my mind.  I would have chosen silk jersey.  I also would have designed the dress a little differently.  This one did not really represent me at all.  Honestly, I just made some really bad choices.


BPR:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

CM:  Michelle.

BPR:  Was she one of your roommates?

CM:  Yes.

BPR:  What advice can you offer to future contestants?

CM:  Well, I would say that going in, you should have at least ten designs in your "muscle memory" that you can pull out of a hat and just create.  In my opinion, there is not a lot of time to design and create something totally new.

BPR:  What are you working on now?

CM:  I'm working on getting my own line out.  I am doing some shows and markets.  Even though I have recently turned 60, I am very young in the industry and I am excited to be getting started.  I know that I needed a couple of years to really develop my point of view, but I didn't think Project Runway would be interested in me at 62 or 63 years old! 

BPR:  What is the name of your line?

CM:  Cindy Marlatt.

BPR:  Tell us about your family.

CM:  Well, we have a modern family, a blended family.  When my husband and I were married 27 and a half years ago, he had two children and I had three.  All five of our children grew up together.  They are all in their 30's now and we have seven grandchildren.

BPR:  What was the best thing about being on Project Runway?

CM:  It was wonderful to meet so many talented people.  For instance, Daniel has so many tailoring skills.  Even though he wasn't on my team, I was watching him work and I would have loved to have been teamed up with him.  Everyone has been great.   They are all so willing to share their contacts with me.  I am just so fortunate to have been a part of it.

BPR:  Cindy, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

CM:  Yes.  I want to thank everyone.  I have heard from many women who say that I am an inspiration to them.  I want to encourage all of them to follow their passions.  It has been so invigorating for me.  I am looking forward to the future.  

BPR:  Thank you Cindy.

CM:  Thank you Laura.