Friday, February 15, 2013

BPR Interview with Joseph Aaron Segal, Continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with season 11 designer, Joseph Aaron Segal.  Hi Joe.

JS:  Hi Laura.

BPR:  Have you watched the prior seasons of the show?

JS:  Yes I have.

BPR:  Did you do anything to prepare for the competition?

JS:  Well, most of my experience is as a knitwear designer.  So when I created the designs for my audition I made sure that I showed a lot of sewing and also I tried to create the designs very quickly.  I just wanted to prepare for the time-management issue.

BPR:  And where do you live now?

JS:  Providence, Rhode Island.

BPR:  Oh, there is another Project Runway designer from Providence...

JS:  Yes, Jonathan Joseph Peters...

BPR:  Right, are you acquainted?

JS:  Yes.

BPR:  Did he offer you any advice?

JS:  Yes, he told me to be myself.

BPR:  Have you shown at StyleWeek?

JS:  Yes I have for the past two seasons.  

BPR:  What are the advantages and disadvantages of the team concept?

JS:  Well the biggest advantage is that you get to share materials with your teammates.  We are always borrowing things from each other and it only serves to make your collection look more cohesive.

The disadvantage is that a good designer can be sent home because he or she is on the losing team.


BPR:  If you could go back, is there anything that you would do differently?

JS:  After watching last night's episode I would say that I wish I had stood up for my design a little more.  The fit was just what I wanted.  I regret not defending myself.  Also, when we were on the runway I could see how really weird Daniel's design was.  It was totally grotesque.  Maybe I could have said something about that I mean it is a competition.  


BPR:  What are you working on now?

JS:  There is a fashion week event in Boston where I will be presenting a capsule collection.

BPR:  Please keep us posted.

JS:  I will for sure.

BPR:  What is the best thing about appearing on Project Runway?

JS:  The exposure to millions of people. 

BPR:  Did you see a big jump in the sales in your store or your website after you were announced as a contestant on the show?

JS:  Not so much at the announcement, but after the first episode aired, when they showed my portfolio, the sales were really out of control.  I think it is a good idea to have an established business as you go in to the competition.

BPR:  You are very smart...

Joseph, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

JS:  I want to thank everyone for their support.  It has been really cool being able to express myself on national TV.  

Also while I have the opportunity, I want to clarify that my cat sweaters are available as new sweaters or as upcycled thrift store finds.  The actual example that is shown in the episode is a new sweater.

BPR:  That's great to know, thank you.

JS:  Thank you!