BPR: This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with season 11 designer, Kate Pankoke. Hi Kate!
KP: Hi Laura. Thank you so much for having me.
BPR: Did Heidi give you any idea that this would be a double elimination?
KP: No. There was no idea. I mean the thought did not even cross my mind.
BPR: So you were as surprised as we were?
KP: Yes. First I was shocked that Tu was eliminated. I started sobbing because I didn't want him to leave. Then when they called my name I was really shocked.
BPR: Were you surprised that the high-schoolers chose Patricia's design as their favorite?
KP: I was a little surprised, but a lot of the challenge was based on the networking and just how the students liked you. I mean Sam and Patricia were just so cool and talkative and so innovative. They could sell anything... When Sam tells you something is cool, you just believe that it is cool.
They were more avant-garde and Tu and I were trying to be more practical and marketable.
BPR: You and Tu are both fairly young, it would seem that you would have an advantage in a prom challenge. Did the girls wear gowns at your prom?
KP: Yes, the girls wore long dresses. I have one friend who is a model and almost 6 feet tall. She had trouble finding a dress long enough. She was the only one who didn't wear a long gown to my prom.
I think we were actually at a disadvantage because half of the judges had never been to a prom.
BPR: You obviously enjoyed working with Tu. Have you remained in touch?
KP: Of course. My fiancé considers him like a brother.
BPR: So you are engaged?
KP: Yes. To the guy that I went to the prom with!
BPR: Have you set the date? Are you designing your gown?
KP: Yes, we are getting married in November and I am designing my dress. That's about all we have decided, though!
BPR: Best wishes!
BPR: Which was your favorite challenge?
KP: The most beneficial challenge was definitely the Heidi Klum challenge. That was the one to win and I was thrilled to win it.
The most fun challenge was the "mature woman" challenge. We were just so tired and then here come these adorable, vibrant fun women and it was just really great.
BPR: Is there anything that you regret saying or doing during your time on the show?
KP: Yes. I want to say that I really like all of the designers. Amanda and I are close friends. Watching myself last night, I kind of cringed.
BPR: Yes, that seemed a little out of character....
KP: Amanda, Michelle and Layana were all roommates and they sort of hung together. They were kind of like the "mean" girls. I tried to be friends with everyone, but they were not interested in being my friend. I was never one of the popular girls...I try to be friends with everyone. I saw the way they treated Patricia the previous week... I am one who sticks up for the underdog... Anyway, we hadn't had the opportunity to really get to know one another, and now that we have, we are all very close.
BPR: What are you working on now?
KP: As we speak I am sewing a chiffon and beaded fringe flag for my current bridal collection. My newest collection is debuting on April 7th at the National Bridal Market in Chicago, for my line,
Elaya Vaughn. I am working literally sun-up to sundown until the 19th which is the date of my photo shoot.
BPR: Are you a full-time designer?
KP: I am a full-time bridal designer. Yes.
BPR: Beisdes, fashion, what do you do in your spare time?
KP: Besides fashion I really don't have a life.... When I can, I try to get together with my friends and have a girls night with musicals and wine and talking. Most of the time I am a workaholic...
BPR: Kate, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
KP: What could have been really depressing was actually very motivating. I want to thank everyone for the positive remarks. I have received lots of great feedback on my design from last night. It is nice to know that there is support out there in America for me and for what I do. I am proud of what I do, and my family is proud of me. I am just so appreciative of this opportunity.
BPR: Thank you Kate.
KP: Thank you Laura.