Monday, September 30, 2013

BPR Interview with Kate Pankoke, Continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Kate Pankoke.  Hi Kate!

KP:  Hi Laura!

BPR:  Our readers strongly disagreed with your elimination.

KP:  Oh thank you - so did I...

BPR:  Even though you were eliminated, you still had the opportunity to show a collection at fashion week.  Tell us about your inspiration and process.

KP:  My inspiration really came from the Marie Claire Shoe challenge.  It's really weird but I was inspired by a combination of the 70's, Surrealism, and Victorian design.

BPR:  Which is your favorite look from the collection?

KP:  You might think it was the wedding gown, but it was actually the gold gown.

BPR:  I have a reader question from Patrick:  When you arrived at the competition, did you sense any feelings of resentment from the other designers?  Was there anything specific?

KP:  Oh Yeah, I mean, like one hundred percent.  I expected to make no friends and for everyone to hate me, but at the end I felt like I was friends with everyone.  It felt really good.

BPR:  That is especially surprising because there were so many "challenging" personalities this season...

KP:  There were, I would say that this season has the most personality of any season.  But I also want to say that everyone was really nice.  I have no problems with anyone.  I mean sure there were meltdowns, and blow-ups but afterward, everyone pretty much felt badly and apologized.  

BPR:  Did you watch last night's episode?

KP:  Yes.  

BPR:  It was hard to understand what you were going for in your look.  Is the pleated fan technique in the skirt something that you have done before?

KP:  The skirt is what I wanted.  I mean yes, I did have some construction issues and some fit issues.  What you didn't see was that I completely took the entire look apart and then put it back together on the last day.  Originally my designs were too short-waisted for Cameron, so I added two inches to the waist, and then it was too long.  

I love the pleated godets and this is something that I featured in my finale collection.  I really enjoyed my look.  

BPR:  I have a reader question from Mark:  Why didn't you use more of the print in your design?

KP:  We all received the same amount of fabric.  We only get one yard.  So I did use every single bit of it.  I think the reason that my print was not more apparent is because it was more subtle.  I wanted to create a binary code design, but in the software program we are not able to type.  So, the dots were not exactly what I had in mind.  In the end, I liked the way that the dots turned out because I varied the transparency, but I realize that this wasn't an "in your face" print like I used for the Belk Challenge.  

BPR:  We are pretty much in the dark about the model selection process.  

KP:  That is a really good question...  There are some really shady things going on this season...  As you know, this season the runway is supposed to be an anonymous runway...so randomly, the producers would say, "You have this model now."

Sometimes we got to choose new models, sometimes we didn't, and obviously once you are accustomed to a model and you know her measurements, you really don't want to switch.

BPR:  Was the winner able to choose a new model?  I would think that the winner would always choose Ya.

KP:  Actually, Helen's model, Molly is tied with Ya for wins!  

BPR:  Knowing now that Helen has won so many challenges, do you regret giving her the win in the Coney Island challenge?

KP:  Not at all... and I don't think of it as me "giving the win" to Helen.  I did it because I knew what she was going for.  She is such a talented designer, she is a great person, and she worked just as hard as I did.  Also, she really needed a pick-me-up from the previous challenge.

So, I had two choices.  I could recommend her for the win, and give her a boost, or I could nominate myself - giving me two wins in a row and assuring that everyone would hate me.  

I was happy to recommend Helen for the win.  She deserved it.  She is amazing.  

BPR:  How are your wedding plans moving along?  You must be excited!

KP:  Yes, the countdown is on!  I still don't have a dress.

BPR:  Are you designing your wedding gown?

KP:  Yes I am!

BPR:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

KP:  Definitely Helen, but everyone else is my "second-best" friend.  Everyone is great.  

BPR:  Is it fun to be at the Reunion?

KP:  It was fun.  It was fun to see all of the other designers.  Of course I was upset because the Reunion was filmed the day after my elimination, so I had to hear my parents crying on the phone, that was hard.  

BPR:  Is there any drama that we can look forward to?

KP:  I don't know how much will air - to be honest - there is a lot of drama - just not among the contestants...  (HUH?)

BPR:  What are you working on now?

KP:  Right now, I am getting ready for International Bridal Market on October 14th in New York.  I am presenting three new bridal gowns, which you can see on my website.  Check under the tab "special preview."  One of them is inspired by my winning gown from Project Runway.

BPR:  Kate, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

KP:  Yes.  I want to thank everyone.  I would not have been back if it weren't for you.  Yes, it was hard to be eliminated, but with all of the emails and support that I have received, I feel like a winner.  I could not have imagined a better outcome.  

BPR:  Thank you!

KP:  Thank you.