BPR: This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Season 3 All Star, Daniel Esquivel. Hi Daniel!
DE: Hello!
BPR: Congratulations on making the cast of All-Stars!
DE: I'm very grateful to be asked to do this. I had fun!
BPR: Our readers strongly disagree with your elimination.
DE: I did read your page because I like it and I appreciate that. At the end of the day, it is the judges' decision. Avant Garde could be just about anything and I just had fun.
BPR: We are also concerned about your recovery - tell us about your accident and how you are doing.
DE: Well, last Monday I was leaving a meeting and a driver hit the left rear wheel and my car actually flipped over. I have a concussion and whiplash and a cut on my leg, but I am recovering. I mean it is very uncomfortable, I can't sleep, but I am doing what the doctor tells me and honestly it could have been much worse. I am very grateful that it didn't burt my sewing hand! The EMTs and the firemen and everyone told me that when they see this, it is usually much worse. Laura, this really opened my eyes. It is a long road to recovery, but I have a new lease on life and I am very grateful to be alive.
BPR: How much time did you have between the finale of season 11 and the start of All-Stars?
DE: It was crazy! It was so fast! I'm going to say that it was about a month! Someone told me that the All-Stars are the best of the best and I was thrilled to be cast. Everyone was so great to me. They encouraged me. Ari, Korto, Mychael Knight - everyone opened their arms to me. I mean I was really really new. They pushed me to update my website. Ari...everyone. They told me that I need to make my designs available to fans.
BPR: Who is your best friend from the cast?
DE: Well, Mychael Knight was my roommate and we instantly clicked. Basically everyone from the cast was amazing. Back in September, Melissa, Jeffrey and Mychael joined me in Austin for a fashion show. I went to Little Rock and did an event with Korto, Bert and Jerell. I'm so grateful to meet these designers. They are all helping me to expand my brand and to move into doing this full time. I look forward to working with more of the designers. I am very grateful to have met ALL of these designers.
BPR: Did you watch last night's episode?
DE: To be honest, I did not. I am on this medication and it was Halloween and I just went to bed early. I woke around midnight and checked online and saw some of the messages.
BPR: In last night's episode, did you agree with the winning design?
DE: Oh yes! It was wild. His work table was across from me and I thought his first look was really cool - the more green one. And after the critique he made the winning look in about three hours. It was really great. He definitely deserved it.
BPR: I have a reader question from Patrick: How do you feel about former winners competing in All-Stars?
DE: I thought it was cool. When we were in the park, and they brought in the three winning designers I thought it was a good game plan. I know not everyone liked it, but I thought it was something new for this season of All-Stars. It really brought a fresh twist to the show.
BPR: I have another reader question from Amy: What makes a good avant-garde look?
DE: Some of my work is avant-garde, kind of edgy. I remember the night before the elimination and I was talking to Mychael Knight. He said that the design should be "wearable" and "sellable." That really stuck in my head. I have a blouse that is coming to my website next week, that has a sculptural quality that I would say is avant-garde. I could kick myself for not doing it on the show now...Please check my website.
BPR: How long did the judges deliberate before announcing their decision?
DE: Well, I mean my memory is not too good right now, but I would say it was about two hours...
BPR: Wow. I always feel for the models...
DE: Yes, a couple of the models could not sit down. Christopher's model and Viktor's model could not sit down.... I unsnapped the back of my dress and told her to be comfortable!
BPR: How do you like Alyssa as host of the show?
DE: I like her a lot I mean I watched her growing up and I always liked her. She is real. Even all the way through the season... before the finale she sat down with us and talked to us like a "real person."
BPR: How do you like Zanna as the mentor?
DE: I liked her. She is very honest. She recommended that I use the copper in the back of the dress. She hosted our reunion special for season 11 and she mentioned at the time that she liked the black suit that I won the first challenge on. She mentioned it again this season. I have got to send her that suit! I liked her a lot.
BPR: What are you working on now?
DE: I am working on a new collection called, "Love Never Dies." I am adding pieces - I have jewelry on there... I have a cuff made from stingray - which you know I featured in my finale collection. I am releasing new things all of the time.
BPR: Daniel, we are almost out of time, is there anything else that you would like to say to your fans?
DE: I want to thank everyone for their support and encouragement. Every day is a blessing to me after this accident. I am doing what I love now - one hundred percent. I am making this my full-time occupation and I never could have stepped out if it wasn't for the fans. This really is a dream come true...and love never dies!
BPR: Thank you, Daniel!
DE: Thank you Laura, it is always a pleasure.
