Tuesday, January 21, 2014

BPR Interview with Kate Pankoke, Continued




Kate Pankoke is just as articulate, kind and talented in person as she seemed on TV. Kate is a woman who speaks through fashion personally and professionally, living what she stands for. 

The first question I asked her was if she made her own gown for her wedding this past November- she immediately replied yes, and yes, was also the answer when I asked her if she made what she was wearing today. 

Tiers are a signature for this season called “Romance in Bloom.” Kate does one collection per year, usually fourteen looks. 

"I name them when they are born during the drawing process, I always have and I always will," Pankoke says.   "This method is so that I can reference the gowns with respect for their personality.” 

Naturally, I asked Kate to name all of the dresses; not as a test but because I was curious. She begins “This young lady...” I laugh. 

The two best sellers are ball gowns, Daphne and Giselle. Each lady was different with colors of white, bone, ivory, cream...and gray! Layers of beautiful fabric thoughtfully designed, gave each piece it's own surprises and wow-factors. “I don’t skimp on any details, I believe the closer you get to a wedding dress the more detail should be revealed.” 

 I asked Kate about accessories- I wanted to know if she had created any... her reply: “Actually my newest venture is teaming up with a father/son team who makes silk flowers. They will work with me to make anything I would like. This is the beginning of my accessory debut! After that the rest will follow.” 

Something to note-all of Kate's designs are American made or better said: Made in America. 

The prices of the two best sellers are $5,000 and $1,500. Any fun thoughts or creations in the future? In the future of 2014: A white matte sequin wedding gown. 

What are the dresses names? The Girls*** Maria, Daphne, Giselle, Marlo, (named after Kate’s Aunt) Elloise, Aurelia, (also Kate’s other Aunt) Akiana, Paris, Gwen Evangeline...and look out for Antoinette’s debut. 

Is there anyone from Season 12 that you think deserves another chance? 

"Helen deserve a second chance. I don’t think she should have been sent home. I was very sad that night in my hotel room."

Do you know of Austin Scarlett or have ever run into him? 

“Unfortunately, I have never had the honor of meeting him but I have seen him in passing, I mean, Austin Scarlett is one of the people I really look up to because he was on Project Runway, and he’s a great designer but mostly because he is a sharp businessman.” 

(Editor's note:  Stay tuned for Jen's studio visit with Austin Scarlett tomorrow....)  

 Kate- thank you for spending some time with me today at your event. I look forward to supporting your success in the future. All the best from all of us here at BPR-enjoy being a newlywed!