Friday, September 26, 2014

BPR Interview with Alexander Knox - continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with season 13 designer, Alexander Knox.  Hi Alexander.

AK:  Hi!

BPR:  Although you were eliminated, You still got to show a collection at Fashion Week.  Tell us about your inspiration.

AK:  My inspiration at that point, I mean obviously I knew I was eliminated so I just went for what I wanted to do, which was combining textures, out-of-this-world, and futuristic.  I wanted to make a collection that I could be proud of.   I didn't have a name for the collection but I just did what felt right.

BPR:  Which was your favorite look?

AK:  The first two looks. 




BPR:  Did you watch last night's episode?

AK:  I didn't.  It was hard to go through the first time, and I just wasn't ready to watch.  I will eventually.  All of us are strong designers, but at this point in the competition, we are all on the wire.  There were so many things that happened on the episode in addition to my being eliminated that I am just not ready to see again. 

BPR:  Looking back, do you wish you had stuck with your original design?

AK:  That is a good question.  I don't know.  The first thing the judges said on the runway was, "It's too simple.  You had two days."  I took a lot of time drafting, patterning, cutting and sewing all of the curves in the first design and I wanted to defend myself.  Maybe if they could have seen it...  I still ask myself - it I had shown the first design, maybe things would have been different.

BPR:  Your model was adorable!  Have you remained in touch?

AK: Her name is Marisa and I do not know her last name and had no contact info so I have not been able to keep in touch. 

BPR:  Also, do you wish you had objected to giving Char the extra time?

AK:  Knowing the outcome - yes.  But to be honest I recall hearing her model say that she had a 13-year-old daughter and she was a pre-school teacher and I just couldn't imagine sending her down the runway like that. 

BPR:  Did Tim offer to let everyone have an additional ten minutes?  Was that even presented as an option?

AK:  No this was not an option.  At all.  We all went to wait in the designer lounge while Char sewed her zipper. 

BPR:  Which was your favorite challenge?

AK:  I have a couple.  First of course, the Rainway challenge.  It was so fun.  So different from anything else that had ever been done on the show.  It was a multi-sensory experience.  It's gets me excited to think about it.

My other favorite was the movie theater challenge- the team challenge.  I got to work with two amazing designers.  I know a lot of times the designers dread team challenge but I really had a wonderful time. 

BPR:  Why do you believe you are winning the "fan favorite" contest, week after week?

AK:  Honestly, at the beginning, I was in utter shock and I had no idea.  Now I think that I definitely have a lot of help from the fellow students at my school and my community.  It is definitely well-known at my school (Columbia College Chicago) that I am on Project Runway.  There is a life-sized poster of me in the front window.  I am also receiving fan mail from other countries, so I know there are other supporters.  It's insane.  I like to think it is because I am very genuine on the show. 

BPR:  How many times have you won?

AK: Eight times in a row!

BPR:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

AK:  I mean the bromance between Sean and I is still alive!  Just kidding, but we met at the casting and we are still in touch almost every or every other day.  I am also friends with Korina, Kini and Emily - everyone. 

BPR:  It must have been fun to see everyone again at the reunion. 

AK:  Oh my gosh yes.

BPR:  If you could go back, is there anything that you would have done differently?

AK:  I'll be honest, there are looks that I wish I could go back and tweak, but I am so young, I'm still in school and I consider this to be an excellent learning experience.  This has made me a better designer.  I would not change a thing.

BPR:  Do you have a website?

AK:  I am in the process of putting one together. 

BPR:  What are you working on now?

AK: I'm back in school at Columbia College Chicago. 

BPR:  Alexander, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

AK:  I would say, don't let your age hold you back.  You aren't too young or too old to do what you want to do.  I have been watching Project Runway since I was ten years old.  I would sit and sketch my ideas for each challenge.  To have actually made it onto the show is a dream come true. 

BPR;  Thank you Alexander!

AK:  Thank you!