Friday, October 31, 2014

BPR Interview with Patricia Michaels - continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo and I'm on the phone with All-Star designer Patricia Michaels.  Hi Patricia!

PM:  Hi Laura!  How's it going?

BPR:  Congratulations on making the cast of All-Stars!

PM:  Thank you!  I was honored.  It was great, actually.

BPR:  Our readers disagree with your elimination.

PM:   Oh thank you.  Well, of course, I appreciate all of the support.  At the same time - when I arrived at the set, I could see that things were different.  I thought that because we were All-Stars that there would be something more - I don't know - honoring - for us.  That we wouldn't have to prove ourselves all over.  Maybe there would be better equipment, more time, more sleep, more workspace,  more RESPECT, I just felt...disappointed.  I was not comfortable there.  We had even LESS time to produce.  I knew right away that this was not right for me.  I did not feel creative. 

BPR:  We saw you working on some green leather trim in the workroom, but I didn't see it on your garment.  What happened?

PM:  I was at the point where I just didn't want to give any more.  You just have to go with your feelings.  I was feeling tired and not respected.  It wasn't worth it. 

BPR:  If you could go back, is there anything you would have done differently?

PM: I would have slept more before I arrived.  I was trying to finish up a lot of orders, and appearances before I went to New York.  I hadn't slept in three days.  Maybe if I was rested, I could have put up with certain things.  I just didn't have any patience. 

BPR:  After you were eliminated and you were sequestered, what were you able to do?  Could you sew?  Shop?  Work on jewelry? 

PM:  Absolutely!  It was wonderful!  It was a sabbatical from heaven!  I went shopping for fabrics, and thrift shopping, I went to museums.  I went to the garment district to look at production facilities.  I could sew and work on jewelry and even check my email.  The Gotham West is lovely, there was a gym where we could work out.  I read and I wrote - I am working on two novels.  

There was a very important email that came in from the Smithsonian!  They were inviting me to receive an award.  It is the 20th anniversary of their National Museum of the American Indian.  They are presenting me with their Arts and Design Award at their 20th Anniversary Gala event.

So at that moment, when I saw the email, I realized that this is my journey.  I have to trust my gut and  honor those feelings.  There are better things for me ahead and this part of my journey is over.  

I am becoming a modern visionary for my culture, a representative of the traditional Native American artist.  I could not have come this far if I did not trust my feelings. 

BPR:  So, have you received this honor from The Smithsonian yet?

PM:  November 12th!

BPR:  Did you watch season 13?

PM:  Yes I did.

BPR:  How did you like it?  Did you agree with the judges?  Have a favorite?

PM:  I really like Kini.  I really did.  It was so nice to see someone like me, but the opposite of me!  He is so fast and so high fashion.  My process is different.  I have to step back and look at things and consider them before I proceed.  I just thought, what a genuine voice and lovely spirit from his Native culture.  He just emanated that spirit from his beautiful family.

BPR:  What are you working on now?

PM:  Next week I head to Florida for the Connected Warrior Veteran's event, where I am doing the commencement address.  Then I go to New York for the 20th Anniversary Gala of the museum.   Afterward I have a meeting with some potential investors.  

Then there is a boutique at The Plaza in NYC, they would like to carry anything I can make.  It is for children.  With my partner James Duran, I am making moccasins for children that are beaded with coral and turquoise because these offer protection to children as they walk this earth.  I am also making little caps that are embellished with eagle feathers, hawk feathers and some of them have macaw feathers.  These feathers offer enlightenment.  We are not just walking this earth alone.  We need to be conscious of others. How perfect that sweet children in modern culture will have the opportunity to learn about this. 

There is a political view of Native Americans and there is a Hollywood view of Native Americans.  I want to present a different view - an Artist's View.

BPR:  Patricia, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

PM:  Yes, the dominoes have started to fall.  I am the first one down - but that also means I am on top!  It is hard to get back up, but it makes us stronger.  I am very happy with my experience on the show.  There is much more ahead of me. 

BPR:  Thank you!

PM:  Thank you Laura.