Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Sam Donovan, Continued



My favorite look was a diagonal striped halter gown. I am a dress girl when it comes down to it so I was happy to see it! I love Sam’s inspiration for this look: 

That was one of the first looks that I came up with. I wanted to make a series of gowns that were clearly influenced by athletic clothing (jerseys, referees) and black and white stripes draped into a really feminine garment seemed to be the way to go--the straps were actually athletic drawstrings, like on basketball shorts. 

 This collection also featured a few menswear looks, which was a pleasant surprise. Sam is working as a menswear designer for Macy’s and has been receiving requests for menswear, so it was a natural progression. He also acknowledges that designing for men gives him ideas that he can use in designing for women and vice versa. 

 That striped halter gown is such a smart mix of a masculine inspiration in a very girly piece. Love it. 

Sam is back in New York City now. I asked him if his return has influenced his design aesthetic. 

I think so, yes. I feel a little bit more free here, and I've been trying to push myself in a more editorial direction. I think my mind naturally works in a ready-to-wear kind of way, so I think I can allow myself a little bit of creative freedom to push the creative aspect, because everything I make always ends up being pretty darn wearable.



I agree — I am looking forward to seeing what you’ll do on the editorial side, however! As a matter-of-fact, maybe that’s what we will see next, since Sam will spend a year in Germany.
His upcoming projects include writing for an app and blogging for Project Runway Junior. He is also going to start a YouTube channel.  I am looking forward to that!
As always, it’s fun to see Sam. I am encouraged by his talent, enthusiasm and spirit. Thanks for letting me take up some of your time, Sam, and good luck with your future endeavors!