He kept saying how overwhelmed he was that everyone came out to see him and that this whole experience with Starbucks and the T-shirt idea has been very positive and nurturing. He said he didn’t realize how many fans he had in Seattle. To which we all hollered and clapped furiously! He talked about his current projects; a new woman’s fragrance called Majik, and possibly some high-end jewelry. He’s also continuing to design for his ongoing customers, 112, Jagged Edge and Sierra and a few Red Carpet designs (although he didn’t divulge for whom).
They had a mini-runway show with a few employees showcasing the new T-shirts. They’re funky and fun – off white with the different words to describe what you order in bold colors such as…
GRANDE
2 Shots
Organic
Breve
w/ Whipped Cream
Several shirts were raffled off – I was 5 numbers away from winning one; the winners going up to Mychael to get the shirt and have a photo taken with him. Jealousy.
They opened it up to questions and I asked the typical:
Are you still in contact with any of the PR 3 designers? He said that he’s been so incredibly busy that unfortunately he has not, but not because they aren’t friends. Just that everyone is having such success and exposure from the show that they are all busy working!
What designer inspires you? He really looks to the work of Italian designers because their emphasis is on fit and design for a woman’s body. He admires Versace above all. He also mentioned he appreciates Tracy Reese but mostly derives inspiration from the Italian designers more.
How did the time constraints on the challenges during PR affect your work? He said that his previous (and ongoing) work with Musicians was always done at the last minute. He talked about one time he got a call from Sierra’s people during a European tour when she needed 2 costume changes for not only her but 2 backup singers as well. This was on a Monday and they needed them by that Thursday! So he said the PR allotted time didn’t affect him negatively – he was used to it. He did add that sometimes they didn’t even have all the time they showed on TV, because they were constantly being pulled from their projects to do interviews and promo shots. He also said that only having 30 minutes to shop at Mood Fabrics was the worst. Because he soooo loves fabric that to only have such a short amount of time to look and decide at the store was really the hardest part.
What do you think about the new high-waisted jeans? He laughed and said he actually likes them a lot but that they are not for everyone. He thinks that they look hot on the right women and that he’s happy that low waisted jeans are on their way out. (Laughter and nodding from the women in the crowd) He made a point of saying that every woman needs to know what looks good on them and that not every look is for every woman. All of us women in the audience look at each other and nod our heads in agreement. He said that he wants to design clothing for women so that they feel great and sexy! He likes clothes that fit well and that hug a woman’s curves. And I’m thinking you gotta love a guy who wants to fit a woman’s curves!!!
And then it was a scramble to get in line for his autograph as he only had 30 minutes to sign before he was being whisked away for yet another appearance. As I got closer I noticed how gracious and easy he was in talking with everyone, granting all the women photographs and hugging each one with a big smile for the camera. I shook his hand when it came to be my turn and told him Welcome to Seattle! As he signed my Starbucks bag (nothing else to have him sign – didn’t think ahead) I asked if was going to have any time to enjoy our City. He said unfortunately not as his schedule was so full. I congratulated him on his continuing success to which he just looked up and smiled. As I came around the table to have my picture taken with him I told him I would be writing about the event for BPR he smiled again and said “That’s cool!”
And that was all. I’ll have to work late tonight to make up the time but it was well worth it. My impression of Mychael was that he is as genuine as was portrayed on PR, not only creative but savvy and in tune with trends, wanting all women to feel sexy. This Starbucks deal is a fantastic opportunity for him and it couldn’t happen to what seems to be a really sweet guy!! Thanks for reading my story.
PS - Sorry about the lack of photos – my camera batteries died and all I had was my cell phone camera.
Team BPR thanks Julie and Mychael for this excellent story!