Friday, September 21, 2007

BPR at Keith Michael's Show - Continued


Cindy told me that Keith was a very creative boy. If he was building something with legos or blocks, it would be spectacular. Whatever he did, it had to be his best. He was artistic and intense.

He has one younger sister named Sarah and they have always been close. Sarah and her boyfriend were at the show and they are both chefs.

When Keith was a boy the family moved from Brooklyn to Connecticut. After ninth grade Keith was home-schooled. He originally went to a tech school for cooking so I guess this talent is in the genes. Soon afterward he realized that he wanted to study graphic design and went to Norwalk College. He worked as a photographer for a while and transferred to Pratt - still studying graphic design. While working as a photographer he fell in love with fashion and fashion design and entered the Fashion Design Program at F.I.T. Keith certainly has a well-rounded education.

He is 35 years old but looks much younger and Cindy does not look old enough to be his mother. She is gorgeous!

Anyway... He did some free-lance design work for Aeropostale and other companies. I asked about his own line and where it can be found and she told me it was at Scout in Los Angeles and at boutiques in NYC. Of course, we can also see it on his website.

Did you know that Malan and Keith knew each other before Project Runway? I had never heard that.

In closing I asked for some fun facts about Keith and she said that he was crazy for 80's fashion and that he never could come to terms with his curly hair. She added that she is "More proud of him than anyone could ever know."

Ken and I were seated directly across from Keith's family during the runway show and Cindy was beaming the entire time.

Thank you for the interview!




As I looked up and around I realized that the doors were open and that the club had begun to fill up. Ken was hanging out backstage with the naked models.... just kidding! Ken described to me afterward that the models had been practicing their walks on the runway and that he had scouted out the perfect seats for us. Keith had fabulous and generous gift bags on every seat. He was sponsored by Borghese and they provided the bags as well as cosmetics for everyone. There was also a small bottle of Christiania in every bag.

I spotted Rie and Travis and visited with them for a little while. Rie is in a beautiful colorful graphic print silk top.



The Club was filled to capacity and the music was loud. The show was about to begin. I asked Ken to take some photos while I jotted down some notes. I didn't immediately recognize Melrose but I certainly spotted Camilla. I elbowed Ken,
"Get photos of Camilla!" "Which one is she?" He did a great job though. Just in case you haven't seen the video - here is a link.

Half of the designs were menswear which surprised me. The male model with the curly blonde hair was adorable! The make-up was by Karlo and looked fabulous. This was really a fun show and the first I had ever been to which featured menswear. As always...it was over too soon.









Keith came out at the end and greeted everyone. I had the impression that everyone there really enjoyed the show. It felt like a party. We had a wonderful time. Thanks Keith!



Click here to comment.