Sunday, February 03, 2008

BPR at the Elisa Jimenez Show - Continued

To clarify: the couture models were human representations of marionettes Elisa had created to represent myths, dependencies, and longings. Among the free-cut hand-sewn costumes were “The Mistress of Tenderness."


“The Respectable Woman” (who kept lifting her dress to show her cherry-covered panties), “Tick-Tock.” “The Blind Courtesan,” and other characters more recognizable in dreamscapes than city streets. Each had a puppeteer dressed in “ready-made ready-to-wear polymorphic cuts all 95% sustainable in soy, bamboo, Ingeo, hemp, cotton, and lycra...all were drawn on …and imbibed with oils and herbs, some with wine to be intoxicating, some with sugar to be sweet, pollen to bring more honey to us all.”
The cut and fit were raw in an earth-mother fashion, both covering and revealing the bodies underneath. Elisa’s fantastical visions are intended for the woman who is tired of being ‘dressed’ by male-centric visions but wants sensuality and whimsy in her little black dress. Among the models was Elisa’s daughter Calliope.



Elisa spoke to the press after the show. Among the many highlights of her open and charming interview:

- “After the first challenge, I chose to not to do what I didn’t know. Instead, I chose to do what I know.”
- In her ‘weird’ career, her priorities have always been “freedom, creativity, and coming home to the people I love”
- She supports pop culture as the “myth making for our time”, but didn’t watch this season’s Project Runway, since she had already lived it. She did watch “Amazing Race” and cheered on Kynt and Vyxen (the Pinkies)
- Victorya Hong (who attended the show) became a friend and supporter during the tapings, enjoying Elisa’s creative differences (including placing golden webs in their bedroom)

- Elisa’s next collaborative project: costume design for High School Musical 3 – The Movie. Really.


Click here to comment.