Friday, March 15, 2013

BPR Interview with Amanda Valentine, continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Season 11 designer, Amanda Valentine.  Hi Amanda!  That was a tough challenge last night.

AV:  Yeah, it was rough for everyone.

BPR:  Our readers disagree with your elimination.

AV:  Really?

BPR:  Yes, right now both Richard and Patricia are ahead of you in "elimination" votes...

BPR:  If you could go back, is there anything that you would have done differently?

AV:  You know, I think the biggest mistake that I made in this challenge, and throughout the season, is that I was too focused on the task and dividing up the workload and making sure that everything was done.  I really forgot about making a statement about my vision.  I think that was a big mistake, I just didn't stand out.  Well...my hemlines did stand out... I didn't focus on my voice.  I think that was my mistake.

BPR:  Although you were eliminated, you still got to show at Fashion Week.  

AV:  That's true....

BPR:  Is your collection #6?

AV:  Am I allowed to say...?

BPR:  Of course!  (waiting for Lifetime rep on the phone to agree....yes....it's fine!)

BPR:  Tell us about the inspiration for your collection.

AV:  I always have to come up with a funny name for my collection.  Last year I did "French Medieval  Fly Girl."  This collection I call "Machu Picchu Punk."  Those are two of my biggest inspirations.  I am always inspired by some international culture..usually an ancient culture...usually a place I have never visited.  So I have this "wide-eyed naive midwestern girl kind of looking out into the world" attitude.  I am also inspired by street style.  I love the attitude of punkers or hippies.   I love anything that is a little bit against the grain.

BPR:  Which is your favorite piece in the collection?

AV:  I love the all-black fringe piece toward the end of the collection.   Actually Mat helped my style my looks... He gave me some great feedback.   I am obsessed with the fringed skirt...  It was really fun to make - just a blast.  I should have shown it off a little more - it is high-waisted.  I just love it.

BPR:  Besides fashion, what are your other interests?

AV:  I am pretty obsessed with music.  I have been playing since I was about eight years old.

BPR:  What is your instrument?

AV:  I played piano, I played drums, then I settled on bass guitar.  

BPR:  Really?  Are you in a band?

AV: Not right now, but I've been in many many bands, ever since junior high.  So that is my other love.  That's what I would be doing if I wasn't doing fashion.

BPR:  Which was your favorite challenge?

AV:  I think the Miranda Lambert challenge.  Right away when we walked into the western bar, I felt really comfortable.  That was the first challenge, and really maybe the only challenge where I did exactly what I wanted to do.

BPR:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

AV:  I don't think this will surprise anyone - it is Michelle.  She is my girl.  Friends for life.

BPR:  What are you working on now?

AV:  I am back to styling.  I'm super super busy.  Full-time stylist, part-time designer.  I am working on a mini-collection to get online for the summer and then I will do a full collection for the fall which will be a spring collection for next year.  

BPR:  You live in Nashville, have you styled any celebrities?  

AV:  No one really big, but yes, some up-and-coming artists.  I also do a lot of commercials.  I do a bunch of different stuff here.  

BPR:  Amanda, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

AV:  I am really thrilled by all of the people who have reached out and said sweet things.  I try to read everything and to respond to everything.   It means the world to me.  It warms my heart  - every message I get.  

BPR:  Thank you Amanda!

AV:  Thank you.