Friday, March 08, 2013

BPR Interview with Tu Nakchat, continued

BPR:  This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with season 11 designer, Tu Nakchat.  Hi Tu.

TN:  Hey Laura, how are you?

BPR:  You were very gracious after your elimination.  If you could go back, is there anything that you would have done differently?

TN:  I am happy with the dress.  It was a proper prom dress.  If I could change something, maybe I would reconsider my first sketch.  Maybe I would do that.  I really respected Kate's decision though.

BPR:  Have you every worked with duct tape?  Have you ever designed a prom dress?

TN:  I was an art major and we worked with duct tape in sculpture.

I have never designed a prom dress.  No.

BPR:  You and Kate seemed to get along very well, have you remained in touch with her?

TN:  Oh yes, absolutely.  We talk and message all the time.  She is really nice.  I know her fiancé too.  

BPR:  Besides Kate, who are your best friends from the cast?

TN:  Since our season is the team season, we are all friends.  I really like everyone.

BPR:  Where are you living now?

TN:  I live in Springfield VA.

BPR:  Are you a full-time designer?

TN:  Yes I am.  Absolutely.

BPR:  What are you working on?

TN:  I am creating my new collection for Summer 2013.  I am working on the production right now.

BPR:  I feel like we hardly got to know you, what would like our readers to know about you?

TN:  I rarely mention anything about my life.  I grew up in Virginia.  I was pretty lonely as a kid.  I couldn't talk very well, but I always loved art.  So as soon as I started to focus on my art, I was happy.  I went to art school and then to fashion school at Parsons and also in Paris.  My parents spent a lot on my education and I feel that I am poised for success.  A lot of people were probably surprised that I made it onto the show, because I don't speak very well, but in addition to talent you also need some luck and I feel very lucky to have been on Project Runway.

BPR:  Which was your favorite challenge?

TN:  The first one was very special.  I really love New York, and I feel like the first time I was really happy and accepted was when I went to Parsons.  So I am very inspired by New York and I got a good critique so I loved that challenge.  I also liked the hard and soft challenge.  I am an artist and a sculptor so I really enjoyed that challenge.  Also, I liked working with the mature clients.  I did not get a good critique, but I learned a lot.  I learned to listen to a client and to manage my time and to work within the constraints.  

BPR:  Tu, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

TN:  Thank you for watching the show.  I hope I didn't let anyone down.  I am working hard on my line.  Fashion can not be made in one day.  I want to thank the other designers for their help and friendship.  It was a great experience to be a part of Project Runway.