Friday, October 24, 2014
BPR Interview with Sean Kelly - Continued
BPR: This is Laura Kluvo from Blogging Project Runway and I'm on the phone with Season 13 Champion, Sean Kelly. Hi Sean!
SK: Hi!
BPR: Congratulations on your win!
SK: Thank you so much!
BPR: Did you watch the previous seasons of Project Runway?
SK: Yes, going all the way back to season one actually. I watched in New Zealand it was one of my favorite shows. It's kind of surreal to find myself a contestant and now a winner!
BPR: Going in to the finale, did you feel like the favorite?
SK: No. I felt that we all presented such different and strong collections that I didn't feel there was any "divide" between the designers. I did not see that there was any clear winner.
BPR: Although we just watched the episode last night, you have known since Fashion Week that you were the winner. Was it hard to keep the secret?
SK: Yes it was. It was hard to interact with all of these friends and family. I had to answer, "Please stay tuned" and tried to avoid the questions as much as possible. I didn't want to have to invent some string of lies.
BPR: What have you been working on since Fashion Week?
SK: I have been taking a break. Honestly we were filming long days since the end of May. So I mean, I missed my summer in New York. We worked such long days, and then the finale collection was a lot of work. It was an intense experience. I am reconnecting with my friends and taking a break.
BPR: Have you been back to New Zealand?
SK: No I haven't. There are behind, they are now on the third episode. Hopefully I'll be back by the time they see the finale.
BPR: Have you received your check yet?
SK: It's "in the mail," I hope...
BPR: How will you spend the money?
SK: Investing in my future. That's what it's for. I don't want to blow it. I really want to be strategic.
BPR: Your model, Alisar, is beautiful.
SK: This is Alisar's second win on a reality show with Heidi. She won Germany's Top Model too. She is amazing. A lovely person, I really get on with her.
BPR: I missed seeing her come out onto the runway when you were announced as the winner. Where was she?
SK: Well it was New York Fashion Week and these models are very busy with fittings, castings and shows. They had to work. The judges' deliberations go on for a long time.
BPR: Have you shot your Marie Claire spread already?
SK: Yes, that was another surreal experience. It was hard not to tell my friends. We shot in Brooklyn actually. I am very excited to see that come out.
BPR: When can we expect to see it? Which issue?
SK: I understand that it will be in the December issue. Just purchase every issue and you will definitely see it!
BPR: Who is your best friend from the cast?
SK: Oh that's a hard one..... I think...it's hard to say...I got along with everyone. Amanda and Kini and Char of course we traveled internationally together so we became very close. And Alexander of course was my roommate.
BPR: Have you kept in touch with the other designers?
SK: Yes. When you share such an intense experience - no one else really knows what it is like, so we share a special bond.
BPR: Going forward, do you plan to present a collection in February?
SK: Not currently. I don't think there is enough time to do something that will be sustainable. I have some other projects that I am working on. Definitely some good stuff coming up.
BPR: What are you working on now.
SK: I have something in the works, but I am not ready to announce it yet.
BPR: Please keep in touch with BPR and let us know.
SK: I certainly will.
BPR: Are you working as a full-time designer on your own line, or do you have another job?
SK: I am a full-time designer.
BPR: Sean, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?
SK: I grew very much from this experience. I arrived in America with nothing and within a few months had this wonderful opportunity. It was amazing. Your opportunities are limitless if you just apply yourself.
BPR: You are very inspiring. Thank you very much.
SK: Thank you!
