Friday, October 16, 2015

BPR Interview with Merline Labissiere, continued

BPR:  Merline - top five is amazing!

ML:  I know - it's crazy!

BPR:  Congratulations on your very strong showing!

ML:  Thank you so much!

BPR:  Tell us about your signature hats.  When did you begin wearing the hat?  Was it just for the show?

ML:  I started with a fade - and then I wanted something new, so I chopped off my hair and I felt like I had a peanut head, so I thought a hat would add a little style.

BPR:  Tell us about your non-profit - provokestyle.org

ML:  I teach fashion to inner-city kids and I travel to Poland and work with a ministry there.

BPR:   Merline, tell us about your experience in architecture.  Do you have a degree in architecture?

ML:  I started with an AA degree in architecture and then when I got to SCAD I realized that I wanted to study fashion.  My family did not completely support me but they understood that I had to follow my dream.  So, halfway through I decided to major in fashion and minor in architecture. 

BPR:  Are you a full-time designer?

ML:  Yes.

BPR:  Did you watch the previous seasons of the show?

ML: Yes, some of them.

BPR:  After reflection, did you recognize Kini's umbrella dress in your design last night?

ML: No.  I don't even know who he is!  I remember the season with Jeffrey...

BPR:  Season three?  That was a while ago....

BPR:  Which was your favorite challenge?

ML:  Well the one I won was the Heidi Klum challenge, so I guess that was my favorite.

BPR:  Who is your best friend from the cast?

ML:  I don't like to say "best friend," but I have remained in touch with Edmond and Swapnil.

BPR:  What are you working on now?

ML:  I'm working on my Spring/Summer 2016 collection, which will be in production.  This presents a lot of challenges.  My non-profit, Provoke Style Fashion Camp, continues and we are growing.  Right now we are looking for a permanent location and we have a grant-writer.  

BPR:  Merline, we are almost out of time, is there anything else you would like to say to your fans?

ML: I had a great time - it was an amazing experience!

BPR:  Thanks Merline!

ML:  Thank you!